Training your replacement

Soldato
Just after a bit of reaction to what you would do in this situation.

I'm currently working in IT at a fairly large site and have done the same job here for the last 14 years, IT was outsourced 7 years ago and now a new provider has won the contract they've decided to let all of the site staff go and rely on field engineers instead as a cost saving. They're wanting us to train these field staff up asap so they can get rid of us.

Would you be happy to train said people? We're feeling rather put out by this and doing a big of an (unofficial) go slow on the training until we can find something better ourselves.

Initially they were offering us retention bonuses until the dust settled and everyone was up to speed but that's now been pulled away.

What would you do and how would you feel about being asked?

Soldato
OP
We're all contractors here so no TUPE :( they've been promising permanent jobs for 7 years just to string us along seemingly.

Yeah training is all on top of whatever we're doing currently.

I did bring it up with my boss that we're not that happy about training the new guys (as i can't see anything in my contract about it), i was told i was lucky he was such a nice guy and didn't forward my email any further up the chain as they'd have me thrown off site within 24 hours... lovely bunch of chaps i work for...

Back
Top Bottom