Transferring a RAID setup from a Gigabyte K8NXP-9 to Gigabyte DS4...

Associate
I have 3 RAID 0 arrays in my current machine but am wanting to get a DS4+Conroe setup. Would a DS4 be able to recognise the RAID configurations that I created from my K8NXP-9 board? Would the RAID controllers be the same?
If it doesn't it's going to be a lot of fun moving data, splitting arrays, moving data back and so on... :(

Soldato
At the risk of sounding really self-righteous, please organise yourself to do backups. You really need to get into the habit of backing up and restore testing so that you don't need to be asking this sort of question.

Just think about it - you probably have all your digital photographs (even the ones you downloaded from the internet :p ), your MP3 collection, maybe some videos :rolleyes:, and if you're a student, your Honours/Masters/Doctoral thesis. If you lost that lot you'd be heartbroken. You'd never be able to download all that pron again would you?

Acronis do a very good backup system (True Image) that also allows you to move your entire install to another HDD or array with almost no fuss at all.

They even do a 14 day trial that would allow you to make an image of your data, test that it works and do the transfer to the new system without paying for it. I would strongly suggest that you give that a shot, then, out of true gratitude, you shell out the £30 and buy a copy to make backups with.

Associate
OP
WJA96 said:
At the risk of sounding really self-righteous, please organise yourself to do backups. You really need to get into the habit of backing up and restore testing so that you don't need to be asking this sort of question.

Just think about it - you probably have all your digital photographs (even the ones you downloaded from the internet :p ), your MP3 collection, maybe some videos :rolleyes:, and if you're a student, your Honours/Masters/Doctoral thesis. If you lost that lot you'd be heartbroken. You'd never be able to download all that pron again would you?

I have tens of gigabytes of crucial data, files and software images that are synchronised between my main machine, laptop and external hard drive at least 2-3 times a week and am fully aware of backup solutions and approaches :)
The only issue is that I have >400Gb of videos and ~200Gb of backups of other customer platforms that a) wouldn't bankrupt me if I lost them, b) would still like to keep for convenience, and c) don't want to spend money on hard drives to store them temporarily while I transfer them; it's not worth that to me. This stuff isn't backed up as it's not worth my time.

So I would like to just be able to plug the drives containing this bulky data ino a new motherboard without having to clear existing RAID arrays & data. Would the two motherboards recognise the same RAID configs?

Soldato
Probably. Most non-Intel RAID controllers are based on SiI or Promise technology and those are essentially clones of one another, so it probably will work, but just be aware that it might not.

Associate
OP
WJA96 said:
Probably. Most non-Intel RAID controllers are based on SiI or Promise technology and those are essentially clones of one another, so it probably will work, but just be aware that it might not.

Ok. Will bear that in mind and use a temporary motherboard setup of some sort. Thankfully 2 RAID arrays that I was going to wipe anyway are stored on an nVidia controller so I don't think there's much chance of them being recognised. The one I do want to keep is on the Silicon Image controller so hopefully it should work.

Associate
OP
WJA96 said:
Strangely enough, my NVidia RAID 5 array was correctly recognised by my Intel Matrix RAID ICH7R system so maybe they have some similarity after all?

Nice :cool: That's handy, I might try my nVidia array on the new board just out of curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom