Transferring data to new iMac and creating a boot drive

Associate
Hi,

Hope a Mac wizard can help me here.

I have a 2012 iMac. It has a lot of apps and data on it which I need to move to my new 2017 iMac.

It was suggested that I back up the 2012 iMac to my time capsule and then restore this to the new iMac.

When I first booted the 2017 iMac I opted for a restore from the time capsule. However, i am told I'm not able to as my 2012 iMac saved the data in Case Sensitive journaled format and my new iMac uses a different system.

Please can someone tell me how I reformat the new iMac in the case sensitive journaled format and then restore my time capsule back up at all?

I can't work out how to reformat the 2017 drive as it is the boot drive for my iMac. Am I missing something simple?

Thanks in advance

Hussman.

Man of Honour
There's a lot of info about this on the net. It seems one of the options is to start your new iMac as a new iMac and then manually copy the data using migration assistant.

Permabanned
You would need to format the system by making either a USB/SDHC Card boot device.

Download the latest macOS Sierra install on the 2012 model and make the boot device on that.

Boot the device by holding down the options key and make sure the boot device is inserted into the new imac.

Format the drive using journaled. Which is on on the utilities on boot up and then proceed to install.

You then should be able to bring the data over from the time capsual.

Associate
OP
You would need to format the system by making either a USB/SDHC Card boot device.

Download the latest macOS Sierra install on the 2012 model and make the boot device on that.

Boot the device by holding down the options key and make sure the boot device is inserted into the new imac.

Format the drive using journaled. Which is on on the utilities on boot up and then proceed to install.

You then should be able to bring the data over from the time capsual.

This worked, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom