Travel insurance recommendations?

Soldato
LV or MPI for me. Had annual policies with both, with winter sports cover. Have had to claim on both. A quick and easy experience with the claims paid out with no quibbles.

MPI was a cancellation due to a member of the group not being able to travel for medical reasons. LV for delayed baggage - claimed almost £500 as was for a snowboard trip and all clothing and equipment was delayed.

Don’t recommend coverwise. A painful long drawn out claim process, with poor assistance when abroad and a member of the group in hospital.

That’s good to know, I generally always go with that coverwise as it was recommended from MSE.

I’ve gone for more premium cover when going mountaineering/winter sports though as they don’t offer helicopter rescue.

Associate
That’s good to know, I generally always go with that coverwise as it was recommended from MSE.

I’ve gone for more premium cover when going mountaineering/winter sports though as they don’t offer helicopter rescue.

Coverwise did eventually pay out. It took a while, and a complaint before they did though. It was mainly their assistance that was terrible. They couldn’t book a hotel room anywhere near the hospital my brother was in, but could book one an hour and a half away. I ended up telling them I’d just sort everything myself and claim it back, and booked a hotel just round the corner.

They also messed up the flight booking for getting back, so had to pay to correct that and arrange transport to the airport.

It just all showed to me that it’s important to have access to funds and not rely on an insurance company to sort everything, I just put it all on a credit card and then claimed it back.

With LV it was to do with lost/delayed luggage. Much better customer service, straight through to a person who advised what I could spend, set up the claim, emailed through details, then actually dealt with the claim.

Obviously more expensive, but much better service, and greater cover level. The amount from coverwise wouldn’t have covered what I spent when bags were delayed.

Associate
LV or MPI for me. Had annual policies with both, with winter sports cover. Have had to claim on both. A quick and easy experience with the claims paid out with no quibbles.

MPI was a cancellation due to a member of the group not being able to travel for medical reasons. LV for delayed baggage - claimed almost £500 as was for a snowboard trip and all clothing and equipment was delayed.

Don’t recommend coverwise. A painful long drawn out claim process, with poor assistance when abroad and a member of the group in hospital.
That's interesting as I've been with Coverwise for many years. Maybe I'll look elsewhere when it's time to renew...

Soldato
I've used LV for my past couple of trips, not an annual policy but individual. The activities we were doing were specifically listed as covered on their premium cover, so I went with them.

I've done a few trips with no insurance at all!

Soldato
Can't remember which one but if you have American Express you get free travel insurance( atleast the BA one does), will check shortly as I need to arrange for Korea

Edit: It's AXA insurance. The process is easy, you just fill in your travel details and they email you a copy of the travel insurance.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve always used Cover for you which is underwritten by Axa. Had to claim during Covid and even though I assume it was a busy time for them (took days to get through to TUI) they were in contact with me constantly and paid out

Soldato
We were just on holiday in Argentina and got stuck in Ushuaia in 3 days because of airport strikes. We couldn't get rerouted so had to cough up £350 each for a last minute 45 min flight to the next destination.

I was hopeful my Coverwise policy (underwritten by AXA) would cover it as it had decent reviews when I took it out and it wasn't cheap, but alas it does not cover travel during the holiday, only travel to or from the UK. I tried to argue I was indirectly on my way back to the UK as my holiday was due to end up some point after taking this flight and I would be going back to the UK, but needless to say that didn't get me anywhere :p

Will do more thorough research when I next need to renew my policy

Caporegime
We were just on holiday in Argentina and got stuck in Ushuaia in 3 days because of airport strikes. We couldn't get rerouted so had to cough up £350 each for a last minute 45 min flight to the next destination.

I was hopeful my Coverwise policy (underwritten by AXA) would cover it as it had decent reviews when I took it out and it wasn't cheap, but alas it does not cover travel during the holiday, only travel to or from the UK. I tried to argue I was indirectly on my way back to the UK as my holiday was due to end up some point after taking this flight and I would be going back to the UK, but needless to say that didn't get me anywhere :p

Will do more thorough research when I next need to renew my policy

Did you get a single trip holiday?

Wondering if it make any difference had it been an annual one, because you can take multiple, which means every stop you take is a holiday.

Soldato
Did you get a single trip holiday?

Wondering if it make any difference had it been an annual one, because you can take multiple, which means every stop you take is a holiday.
Nope it is an annual policy. The problem is the policy wording (copied below) specifically references travelling to and from the UK. There are other sections of the policy that cover some stuff whilst on holiday (e.g. needing to travel/change hotel due to a natural disaster) but nothing that covers my specific scenario unfortunately

If you have arrived at the terminal and have checked in, or attempted to check in for your prebooked
flight, sea crossing, international coach or international train journey from or to the United Kingdom,
and in addition for residents of Northern Ireland, any departure point in the Republic of Ireland, and it is:
1. Delayed for more than 12 hours beyond the intended departure time.
2. Is cancelled before or after the scheduled time of departure as a result of any of the following
events:
a. Strike or industrial action.
b. Adverse weather conditions.
c. Mechanical breakdown of or a technical fault occurring in the public transport on which you
are booked to travel

Caporegime
Nope it is an annual policy. The problem is the policy wording (copied below) specifically references travelling to and from the UK. There are other sections of the policy that cover some stuff whilst on holiday (e.g. needing to travel/change hotel due to a natural disaster) but nothing that covers my specific scenario unfortunately

If you have arrived at the terminal and have checked in, or attempted to check in for your prebooked
flight, sea crossing, international coach or international train journey from or to the United Kingdom,
and in addition for residents of Northern Ireland, any departure point in the Republic of Ireland, and it is:
1. Delayed for more than 12 hours beyond the intended departure time.
2. Is cancelled before or after the scheduled time of departure as a result of any of the following
events:
a. Strike or industrial action.
b. Adverse weather conditions.
c. Mechanical breakdown of or a technical fault occurring in the public transport on which you
are booked to travel

That means the trip I took the other year where I had a broken jaw flight LHR -> Osaka -> Seoul -> LHR. The middle part between Osaka to Seoul wouldn't have been covered!

Soldato
Can't remember which one but if you have American Express you get free travel insurance( atleast the BA one does), will check shortly as I need to arrange for Korea

Edit: It's AXA insurance. The process is easy, you just fill in your travel details and they email you a copy of the travel insurance.
You just saved me about £350 on insurance for my mum (going to SF in April) and I as I’ve got a Platinum card and it indeed has insurance for the holder….

Associate
I used travel insurance from Nationwide and paid a bit extra to declare my medication. I went to NYC last year and realised on the first day that I had forgotten my medication. I had to buy more from a the local CVS and pay over £150 to see the doctor. Luckily, I could claim it back from my insurance.:)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I buy travel. Insurance for single trips.

Last time it was 9 pounds including covering my off shore kayaking.

I've never used a premium bank account as its never been worth it as they don't cover much and it's always more expensive for me

Soldato
During my time travelling to the US multiple times, and being disabled with preexisting conditions I used Chartwell Travel Insurance. I believe these days they were bought out by Adrian Flux, who was disabled himself (his son runs it now).

I did have to claim when I suddenly started getting respiratory failure (type 2) in the early 2000s. I was in hospital twice in the US and both times all medical bills were paid by the insurance. The second time I had to go back in they wanted to fly me back to the UK via "Air ambulance". This included sending a doctor and 2 nurses to the US to fly back with me on a BA plane.

The whole experience cost them over $50,000 paid in installments.

So if you have a disability and need travel (aka trip) insurance I recommend Adrian Flux.

Man of Honour
Covered by AXA via an American Express card. I have claimed for overseas medical expenses twice in a few years, both times just for a few hundred quid each, and both times they coughed up/I wasn't left out of pocket. However, the most recent time there was a long delay and I had to enter in to a lot of email correspondence over several weeks. Based on the recent experience, I would not recommend it unless it comes with a card you're getting entirely for other reasons. I have another free/bundled policy with a current account, and I've never used it but heard good things about it. Might try claiming on that one next time.

Soldato
Covered by AXA via an American Express card. I have claimed for overseas medical expenses twice in a few years, both times just for a few hundred quid each, and both times they coughed up/I wasn't left out of pocket. However, the most recent time there was a long delay and I had to enter in to a lot of email correspondence over several weeks. Based on the recent experience, I would not recommend it unless it comes with a card you're getting entirely for other reasons. I have another free/bundled policy with a current account, and I've never used it but heard good things about it. Might try claiming on that one next time.

My friend is going through a lot of hoops with the post office right now for a pay out.

Anyone have any experience with claims I'm thinking of going with All clear as I have some pre existing medical conditions to declare.

They seem recommended and 5 star defaqto.

Man of Honour
I would point out that as time goes on, insurance companies (like most companies in the economy) are getting tighter and tighter and squeezing customers' pips, looking for tiny excuses to refuse claims or make it so difficult for people with admin that they give up even though they're covered and entitled.

Nobody knows how every company is currently performing and compares to their rivals, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're all up to it. It's probably best just to go for the cheapest big name, and I only say big name so that there is minimal risk of them going under by the time you need to claim. They have those official payout statistics, e.g. we pay out 98% or we pay out 96% etc...not worth the paper in my opinion. Whoever it is, be prepared for battle!

Back
Top Bottom