Treating a newish deck (oil vs stain)

Associate
Just under a year ago we had a new deck put in the garden. It was untreated and we were advised to let it settle for a few months and then treat it. Evidently, we got a little distracted and forgot about it. So I've come to treat it now and found it was coated in green sap from the tree above it and mountains of bird much. No problem, brushed the rubbish off, got some Ronseal Decking Cleaner, brushed it in, power washed it off (with a 2nd power washer run for good measure), white and green (mostly) gone.

What isn't gone however, are the marks from where the furniture was (or perhaps wasn't): https://i.imgur.com/tjRrSww.jpg

So my admittedly uneducated assumption here is that the deck was effective bleached by the UV from the sun, other than where we had furniture. If this is the case, my 2nd assumption is that treating with a clear oil is now out of the question, as it will presumably just give a protective layer and preserve the pretty poor look from the above photo.

Is my next (and only) option to stain it? This isn't a problem if so, I'm just after some opinions from people who know this stuff better than I do (AKA everyone).

Thanks in advance!

Soldato
The timber is just aging at different rates due to some being exposed to the sun more. Personally I don't think it looks poor at all, and will naturally fade over time.

I'd always reccomend oiling as opposed to staining, even if you use an oil with colour in it. Stains often peel and can make a real mess, oiling just retains the natural beauty of the decking.

Following recommendations on here I used the Screwfix own brand decking oil and it's fantastic. Took half an hour to do a 4.2mx8m deck and looks fantastic. The section to the right is newer than the left so gives you an idea of how the timber fades.

Decking is a year old:

Soldato
I've
The timber is just aging at different rates due to some being exposed to the sun more. Personally I don't think it looks poor at all, and will naturally fade over time.

I'd always reccomend oiling as opposed to staining, even if you use an oil with colour in it. Stains often peel and can make a real mess, oiling just retains the natural beauty of the decking.

Following recommendations on here I used the Screwfix own brand decking oil and it's fantastic. Took half an hour to do a 4.2mx8m deck and looks fantastic. The section to the right is newer than the left so gives you an idea of how the timber fades.

Decking is a year old:

Looks good!

I've bought some Screwfix decking oil but I need to clean the decking first. How did you apply yours? Just with a brush? How many coats?

Soldato
I've

Looks good!

I've bought some Screwfix decking oil but I need to clean the decking first. How did you apply yours? Just with a brush? How many coats?

Cheers.

I treated myself to a Wagner paint sprayer. Applied it in no time, was very even and little over spray.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wagner-2...2XQzqSYn-Ic_GLfSpUlcKiEuwPul6Q3xoChT0QAvD_BwE

I went over it with a soft broom as I was going along to work it in slightly.

For weeks after applying rain beaded on the decking like a freshly waxed car.

Soldato
Cheers.

I treated myself to a Wagner paint sprayer. Applied it in no time, was very even and little over spray.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wagner-2...2XQzqSYn-Ic_GLfSpUlcKiEuwPul6Q3xoChT0QAvD_BwE

I went over it with a soft broom as I was going along to work it in slightly.

For weeks after applying rain beaded on the decking like a freshly waxed car.

Pahh, think I might have to get a sprayer now you posted that... I've got a lot of fence panels to paint, and I'd read some awful reviews about the Cuprinol ones, etc. This one seems to have good reviews and will make the job easier. Masking up the concrete posts will take a fair bit of time still.

Soldato
How much did that decking cost you if you don't mind me asking?

Was about £1500 all in, although no labour cost as my dad and I did it.

From memory think it was about:
£1k in timber
£100-£150 in fixings (although already had some)
Circa £200 in adjustable decking legs
£100 to hire a turf cutter and wackerplate
£50 in pea shingle
£40 in weed membrane
£30 cement / hardcore

Soldato
Pahh, think I might have to get a sprayer now you posted that... I've got a lot of fence panels to paint, and I'd read some awful reviews about the Cuprinol ones, etc. This one seems to have good reviews and will make the job easier. Masking up the concrete posts will take a fair bit of time still.

I've been really impressed with it although yet to try paint in it. Got a play house arriving soon that will need painting!

Caporegime
Used engine oil will make the deck look a nice shade of dark brown and keep it protected forever.

Just ask any mechanic for some should have plenty from servicing cars

Used engine oil will make the deck look a nice shade of dark brown and keep it protected forever.

Just ask any mechanic for some should have plenty from servicing cars

Used engine oil will also leave lovely fetching footprints across everything else you walk on as well :)

Plus used engine oil contains high levels of carciogens. Not really a good idea to be spreading them around.

Buy the screwfix decking oil, its £25 a can and its very very good.

The only issue with the screwfix ones are the choices are very limited.

Caporegime
Used engine oil will also leave lovely fetching footprints across everything else you walk on as well :)

Plus used engine oil contains high levels of carciogens. Not really a good idea to be spreading them around.

Buy the screwfix decking oil, its £25 a can and its very very good.

The only issue with the screwfix ones are the choices are very limited.

Supposed to let it soak into the wood light coats. Not just pour it on by the gallon.

Beat to apply it before you even build the deck.

Supposed to let it soak into the wood light coats. Not just pour it on by the gallon.

Beat to apply it before you even build the deck.

Its recommended to not treat decks initially so that the water content in the wood drops, and then to treat them once there is more capacity in the wood to hold preservative.

Its still idiotic to save a few quid by using something that is known to contain carciogens, unless you dont care about your health or the health of the environment your in.
Its one of the reasons they recommend to not do anything (drilling, cutting etc) to old reclaimed railway sleepers, the nasty oil and stuff they have been exposed to over years is nasty.
They won't rot, but they may kill you.

Soldato
I used Barretine wood treatment on my fence and am pleased with it. Someone on here recommended it a while ago. I went for golden brown.They do a decking oil too.

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=barrettine treatment

I had two fences; a fairly new one and a slightly older fence which had gone silvery as in the OP. Neither had been treated previously. They came out pretty much the same after a couple of coats :)

Back
Top Bottom