Triple monitor setup

Soldato
Hi all

I've been considering going the VR route but heard a triple monitor setup may be the way to go... I currently have a single ACER S240HL monitor, Do i need to buy the exact same monitors to have this set up or can i get a couple of cheaper ones to run on either side of my current ones, i will be mainly playing Dirt Rally, iRacing and ETS 2 on this setup...

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Associate
I have a triple setup and all three monitors are the same model/manufacturer.

Mixing with other models, I would not recommend, even three screens from the same manufaturer differ, white levels, back light bleed. Mixing different screens, I would imagine aligning will be a nightmare. My screens are sitting on their factory stands whereas before used a mount. There are slight discrepancies with height even when using factory stands. With a bit of tweaking and patience, they are pretty much aligned.

I like racing games, and this for me is where a triple setup works, you can angle etc. The only drawback is bezels; Whilst you do not notice with some games but then with others (FPS) its more apparent. However when I am not gaming, like to have various programs open on each screen (Spotify on one, Netflix the other etc) and this is where a triple setup works well.

The photograph below looks like the middle screen is smaller, it's the same size (honest).

The below was work in progress, its aligned and starting to look a bit better! :)

cD31fF5l.jpg

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply, your setup is tidy, that's what I want to have... I think I'll go for a triple monitor over VR tbh... What do you do when playing other games that aren't racing, do you just use the central monitor or still use all three?

Associate
I use the central monitor :)

It depends on the games - some you can tweak to get to work on all three, but triple is not a native setting. Down to experimentation, but to be honest, you will get a gut/know the games where it will work/benefit. Some games are better on a single screen. Flitting settings is a pain - i.e. you set the video output for the game perfectly, switch back to your desktop and Windows is all over the shop. Revert the settings back and then when you want to play a game - repeat the cycle.

Widescreen (no idea about VR) does not have these issues.

Games which work well for my rig - Automobilista, Raceroom, Arma 3 etc. When it works, despite the ballache with settings; is awesome.

Back
Top Bottom