Troubleshoot - random black screening

Permabanned
Bit of a problem with new pc build, the pc screen will go black randomly, regardless if just idling or during use, usually after 10-30mins, had it once run fine for 2 hours before happening, Pc looks like it’s still turned on when this happens and you have to hard reboot each time. Happens with XMP enabled or set to auto

UPDATES:
- underclocking ram slightly to 2800mhz makes no difference

-happened in bios, so likely motherboard issue?

-Opened Spotify in the background, music still playing when screens randomly go black. Gpu / mobo issue?

Specs:
Intel Core i5-8400 2.8GHz
Asrock Z370 Pro4
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB) 3000mhz
EVGA 500w Psu
GTX 970
sandisk sata ssd

Any help is appreciated!

Soldato
Problem happening also in BIOS definitely excludes OS/software as cause.

Besides different port, you could try with CPU's integrated GPU.
Just make sure in BIOS that integrated GPU isn't disabled before removing GTX970.

Soldato
Admittedly not yet, but ran the old pc fine, only at 1080p
Have these problems only started since you started using the 32UD99?

If so the lead could definitely be a consideration (if it's the same lead) as the quality may not be able to deal with the higher bandwidth/resolution.

Permabanned
OP
Have these problems only started since you started using the 32UD99?

If so the lead could definitely be a consideration (if it's the same lead) as the quality may not be able to deal with the higher bandwidth/resolution.
Have you tried a different output lead from the GPU?

Swapped monitor to a 1440p through DVI-D and getting same issue. Ran both monitors at same time and both screens will go black. Must be gfx or mobo. As music still continues to play in the background afterwards, I doubt this to be a cpu, psu or ram issue.

Soldato
Is there a BIOS update for that particular brand of card?

You've tried different port and leads(?) - so it could potentially be a PSU issue (among others). What's the age of the unit and have you got one spare to swap out?

Permabanned
OP
Is there a BIOS update for that particular brand of card?

You've tried different port and leads(?) - so it could potentially be a PSU issue (among others). What's the age of the unit and have you got one spare to swap out?
Was initially plugged into HDMI samsung monitor, had no issues with this monitor or cable with old build. Tested with a different 1440p monitor with DVI-D and then finally dual setup with both monitors and found the same issue.

I don't have a different PSU, but was bought brand new from competitor, 970 was second hand from the members market, all other items were new from OCUK directly. I'm getting my hands on a 1070 in a few days to swap over to see if anything changes, which would then rule out the 970 itself, then if it still happens I'll know it could then be the mobo or possibly the psu.

Back
Top Bottom