Trust the oil the garage put in?

Associate
I recently had my car fully serviced after it hit 80,000 and they drained the oil and put some new stuff in. However I didn't ask what it was they were putting in. Do people here trust the oil their garages put in? Or would you buy your own?

Soldato
They are likely to have put 10w40 semi synth in, most garages we supply use it, as most cars will be fine with it.
Even if you supply your own oil, will they use it? Depends how much you trust them.

edit: Just noticed your sig, VW's often use at least 5w30 full sythetic, so hopefully they used that.

Associate
OP
I don't mean give the oil to them sorry. I mean drain it myself and put my own in. I would service the car myself, but so far it has full service history and I want to maintain that :) Cheers for the info though.

Soldato
My old Audi TT with 20v 1.8T engine took castrol formula 0w30 so I dunno if i'd be happy with 10w40 in it. Saying that it was like green water going in and as a result Audi supply you with a litre of it when you buy the car as it's gauranteed to burn off at least that within 1k

Soldato
pinkaardvark said:
My old Audi TT with 20v 1.8T engine took castrol formula 0w30 so I dunno if i'd be happy with 10w40 in it. Saying that it was like green water going in and as a result Audi supply you with a litre of it when you buy the car as it's gauranteed to burn off at least that within 1k

My best mate who works at Audi says they now use nothing but 5w30, although the cars are supplied originally with 0w30.

Soldato
pinkaardvark said:

Our 2.0TFSI has only used half a litre in 5k miles since new. I still have the other half in the boot. Cant remember what oil spec it is though off the top of my head(i know its castrol though).

Back
Top Bottom