trying to reinstall windows on a dell

Soldato
hi there.

ive got issues with a dell (dimension 3000) if thats any help.

it originally had issues with installing a printer. that was installed, that seemed to go ok, then try tried to connect it to the net to find a dialup provider.

after trying to install various provider software a system restore was carried out, after installing a new AV and spyware stuff.

now when the OS boots, it gets to the windows loading page and hangs big time, for ages. it loads windows bit by bit but nothing can really be done.

i think its looking for internet connections but without being able to use windows nothing much can be diagnosed.

ive gone into safe mode and disabled most of the registry that i dont need, windows still wont open.

a reinstall would be the easiest route it seems, but it wont let me boot from a cd. it has xp home on there, all i have around at the moment it windows millenium. i just want to get it working basically

how can i format C: in the state its in?

is it best to get the HDD out and into another comp and format it then? will Dell's bios ever let me run another OS etc?

cheers

PS.. i hate dell

Associate
get a dos boot disk from internet put it on floppy, format the hd, install windows.

could do that i guess.

not all dells ship with a recovery disc esp. since they cost money.

Soldato
OP
there is no dell recovery cd with the computer. the cds it came with are for printer, scanner etc that sorta thing. nothing OS related, although it does have an XP key on the side of the comp.

will reformating and reinstalling windows actually make the comp usable afterwards or has dell put some awkward rubbish on there that wont be happy?

Soldato
My Dell had no recovery disk either, but they did supply XP on a CD for me, I never had any problems re-installing, so should be fine for you to re-install.

Associate
Silver_&_Gold said:
To enter Dell BIOS:

F1 or Del or Ctrl-Alt-Enter (Some require pressing reset twice )

:confused: why has that got anything to do with anything.

Well i haven't had a dell in years (since p700) back then they didn't have anything on their hds. But nowerdays its concievable they have a hidden partition (i think ibm do this) - anyhow, im sure that formatting will be fine - if not go to dell support on their website (they are usually ok)

Associate
call dell, they provide specific support for your system, it's one of the benefits of buying a premade PC from someone like them, they provide you with support for it.

Get them to fix the problem over the phone or send you a windows re-installation cd.

Back
Top Bottom