Trying to remember a book from my childhood

Associate
I've tried searching but due to the lack of specifics that I can remember I have had no success in finding out the name of a book I remember reading as a kid. I think I was about 10 or 11 when I read it (12-13 years ago) but i pretty sure it was one of those "Young adult" books which are normally aimed at 13-15 year old.
I am hoping that if I describe what I remember, someone might have read the same book and be able to tell me what its called.

It starts with parents leaving their children in the car at the side of the road and walking off and leaving them (can't afford them?) Its a brother (Skip? Kip?) and a sister and I'm pretty sure the sister is older.
The kids end up making their way to a city where they have to hide from the authority (children police? labour camps? unsure on this point but I know they keep having to hide).
They meet another street kid who helps them out (think his name is Sky but not sure).
They end up leaving the city - think something happens to the kid brother so its just the girl and "Sky" heading towards the country - maybe just "Sky"?

I know its not much but its been bugging me for months now - anyone have any idea what I'm going on about? :o

Associate
OP
Tony Soprano said:
Takhisis, I know the book you are after, I read it when I was 11/12 in first year at Grammar School. I'll hunt the title for you. :)
Tony Soprano said:
@ Takhisis: The book is called The Homecoming :)

Excellent :D

If we're gonna be talking about "odd" books - another one I read at about the same time as the nameless one was Bunnicular - searched for it today out of curiosity and found out it was published 3 years before I was even born and is part of a series of 5 books!!! Part of me really want to get hold of them and read them now :o

Edit: Just read the synopsis of The Homecoming and it doesn't sound like the book I'm after - I can definately remember there only being a brother and a sister and then a street-smart kid who helps them out, the book you mentioned is about 4 siblings.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
All this talk of the book made me remember the street kids name was Dig but I was sure one of them was called Sky so I just googles for "Dig Sky" and I found it :D

The book is Throwaways by Ian Strachan (review)

Thank you everyone - by me typing it all out and everything it helped me remember more of it :)

Back
Top Bottom