Tumble dryer in the garage?

Soldato
Howdy folks. I have recently moved house into a property that does not have a tumble dryer. I view one as pretty much essential for life so will buy one.

The only place for it is in the garage. Obviously this will get cold in the winter. I guess dust might be a potential problem too, as the garage has a concrete floor. However, I could get a large rubber mat to put the machine on to minimise this.

I was wondering whether anyone has experience of running a dryer in a garage? I'm assuming a condensing one will be best, as I will be unable to drill a hole in the wall to exhaust via a vent. Also the electricity socket is poorly located to be able to be able to chuck a hose out of the back door.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable and good value for money machine?

Soldato
OP
I have asked and this is the best option I have.

I certainly don't want to vent inside the garage, as I have my bike and tools in there. To me it seems like a condensing one would be best if it is effective in the environment.

Soldato
OP
There's a place close to me that does a small range of dryers, including White Knight at seemingly competitive prices, especially when collected. Any opinions on their range?

http://www.walworthappliances.co.uk/whiteknight-c77aw-condenser-dryer-7kg-load-white

I guess the White Knight and Hotpoint at £235 are the top of my budget.

Alternatively I could look to buy a used one for a lot less. This one is quite close, but seems to have an issue with fluff getting stuck in the door. No idea whether this will effect performance though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271895194362?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Having a window may be pointless...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the extra detail and information. There does seem to have been a lot of consolidation in the tumble dryer market!

Regarding the White Knight models, would it be worth going for a more sophisticated machine in the B96M8W over the more basic C77AW? It is only a little more expensive, but I think it would put me at the mercy of programmes and a sensor for drying instead of being able to set a time.

Are programmes and sensors generally accurate?

Back
Top Bottom