Tumblr, Google Apps, own domain, cPanel and A records

Caporegime
I want to use Tumblr (for the time being) and I also want to use my Google Apps account to manage users on the domain, email through GMail and what have you.

So last night I set up Tumblr with my own domain as it describes here - http://www.tumblr.com/docs/en/custom_domains

Two Levels (e.g. mywebsite.com) - point A-record (IP address) to 66.6.44.4

Three or More Levels (blog.mywebsite.com) - point CNAME record to "domains.tumblr.com"

The A record (exmaple.com) seemed to be taking a while to update, but I set up a CNAME record (www.exmaple.com) which worked fine right away. Come to it again this morning and the A record was working fine. So earlier on I went to set up a new domain on Google Apps but it says - "This domain name has already been used as an alias or domain."

So I've changed the A-record for the two level domain back to the original, as I want the domain for the email to be example.com, not [email protected] or anything like that. When I check with Tumblr it says "This domain's A-record is not pointing to Tumblr. It is currently set to “91.198.165.201”." But Google Apps still says the above message.

Now I'm assuming that this is just because it'll take a while for Google to realise that the A record no longer points to Tumblr and once that updates I'll be able to set up the domain on Google Apps, do the MX Records, make a 301 redirect of example.com to www.exmaple.com and all should be fine?

Or is this not right and I'm going to be twiddling my thumbs waiting for something to update when it's in fact not going to work?

Thanks.

Caporegime
OP
Or it's because I already have a Google Apps account with the domain... :o

Having to see if I can reset the password via CNAME as I no longer have the mobile number for 2-step verification.

Oh dear. :o

Caporegime
OP
Seems the CNAME password reset doesn't remove the 2-step verification, so I've had to contact their enterprise support, hopefully it won't be too long before I can access it again.

Back
Top Bottom