Turning off laptop monitor when the lid is closed?

Permabanned
Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop. In the power saving tab there are options to suspend / hibernate the computer when the lid is closed but ideally I would like an option to blank / turn off the monitor so that I can leave the laptop running whilst closed.

Does anyone know how to enable such an option? Thanks. :)

On every laptop I have ever seen there is a "Do Nothing" option.

This will kill the backlight to the screen when you close the lid, and the laptop will carry on running as normal.

I use this sometimes if burning a DVD or downloading a large file and I dont want to sit there looking at it lol.

SiriusB

Nope, 'Do Nothing' literally does nothing. The screen stays lit. :(

At the moment I have it so that the monitor turns off after 5 minutes of mouse/keyboard activity but I would really rather have it so it turns off with lid closure.

[edit] Woops, posted under the gf's name (splitz)

My laptop is currently set to nothing, and my backlight goes off the moment i close the lid.

It could be due to the proprietry power management software on my Toshiba. However, I am almost positive your screens backlight should go out when you close the lid. It makes no sense at all NOT to have the backlight go out.

SiriusB

the screen should automatically go off when the lid is closed, there is usually a catch on the base of the laptop than touches a contact and turns the screen off, tis in my case anyway.

Last edited:
look on the botom right hand corner of the screen their should be a little piece of plastic molded to the screen which is sticking out abit then look below this and u should c a tiny push to break switch push it with a pen and the monitor should go off

this should be on all laptops

Last edited:
bbreezeuk said:
look on the botom right hand corner of the screen their should be a little piece of plastic molded to the screen which is sticking out abit then look below this and u should c a tiny push to break switch push it with a pen and the monitor should go off

this should be on all laptops

so why are you telling me this? :p
pretty much what im talking about, you should be telling him.

[splitz posting]

Guys, I know how the laptop catch works and I have checked the BIOS several times. There is simply no option on this laptop to dim/turn off the screen :(

donothing.PNG

<maddness> said:
the screen should automatically go off when the lid is closed, there is usually a catch on the base of the laptop than touches a contact and turns the screen off, tis in my case anyway.

I know this and there is no visible switch. I've given up, there is no proper way to make this screen blank when the lid is closed. How bizarre.

Back
Top Bottom