TV corner wall mount into masonry

Associate
I want to mount my 55" tv to the wall. I'm sick of the stand it's on ands it's only a place to put things.
I figure I can hide the PS4 somewhere else. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

But it's in the corner and I thought it might be cool if I could swivel it and lay it flat on one wall as well as where it usually is which is in the middle.

Many of the mounts on the market fix to the two opposing walls like so:
KROib82.jpg

But then I thought it might be cool to be able to push it to one wall too if I wanted to watch tv from one sofa / have it take up less room.

And there is a single point mount with a right angle base that appears to do it.

Here's the mount in question.

here's the base of it
A35OIzL.jpg

Here's a picture of company man standing in front of it in one position. Please try and ignore the four plants in a row.
GZ7Klci.jpg

And here is a picture of the man in motion sort of walking towards it with purpose while it is flat against the wall in the other position.
ZHoEyRc.jpg

UPDATE: here's a picture that better explains it but doesn't have the man .

https://www.kantomounts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/FMC1_TV_PushedLeft.jpg

** Do Not Hotlink Images **

Anyway, my questions are thus.;

i. is it dangerous to mount a 43 pound tv to just one base like the man did? It seems like a LOT of weight to put on one point of contact especially since it's going to articulate out.

b) I'm mounting straight into brick and mortar; is that better or worse for holding it? Anything I need to know about going into brick; I know there are special fixings for brick that you hammer in; is that what they're called? "brick fixings."

3. is it better to go into the brick or the mortar; assuming brick since it's harder.

4. That one (the one with the man) is 119 dollars. Seems like a lot. And I'm in the UK too. I can't find anything like it on Amazon (they're all the two contact ones). And the one point of contact ones don't have bases that are right angled for a corner. Does anyone have any ideas where I could get one?

e) I think that's it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
The weight/level won't be excessive with a 20kg TV (45lbs)

Id suggest something like this instead (i had in old house for 3 years with a 20kg TV
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invision®-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

What you want is wall plugs for masonry and make sure they contact well into the masonry (i.e. Past the plaster) there are many types e.g. Friction fixings, anchor bolts, chemical anchor. I'd say a fairly hefty m10 fixing of a good depth will be fine for this. I believe the above comes with some fixings I used.

Soldato
I would be amazed if that bracket was up to the job of holding that TV, especially if you want the TV to be pushed away from the wall as the more distance between the TV and wall, the more load is put on the bracket. There would be a fairly large load put through the bottom mouting point which would be wanting to lever out the top mount.

We had a cantilever bracket installed a couple of months back. The chap that did it said that most of his work is going to replace crap brackets which aren't designed for the load that the TV puts through them and are fitted poorly into the wall. The bracket you posted at the top of your post has 6 mouting points per wall plate, so 12 in total. I would expect that the other bracket has 3 mouting holes at the most.

Associate
OP
The weight/level won't be excessive with a 20kg TV (45lbs)

Id suggest something like this instead (i had in old house for 3 years with a 20kg TV
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invision®-TV-Wall-Bracket-Mount-Black/dp/B01AYBLPNA/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=invision+ultra+strong+tv+wall+bracket+mount&qid=1622821017&sprefix=Invision+&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFYUEhIVlNHUzE3WUwmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MTg5NjgzME85TlcwS0tMN1E1JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA1OTIxODMxQ04yQklXN003TkZHJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

What you want is wall plugs for masonry and make sure they contact well into the masonry (i.e. Past the plaster) there are many types e.g. Friction fixings, anchor bolts, chemical anchor. I'd say a fairly hefty m10 fixing of a good depth will be fine for this. I believe the above comes with some fixings I used.

Thanks; there's no plaster; it's exposed brick.

The one you linked to doesn't seem to be optimised for a corner; I'd be concerned that it wouldn't push far enough into the middle to look even if that makes sense.

Associate
OP
I would be amazed if that bracket was up to the job of holding that TV, especially if you want the TV to be pushed away from the wall as the more distance between the TV and wall, the more load is put on the bracket. There would be a fairly large load put through the bottom mouting point which would be wanting to lever out the top mount.

We had a cantilever bracket installed a couple of months back. The chap that did it said that most of his work is going to replace crap brackets which aren't designed for the load that the TV puts through them and are fitted poorly into the wall. The bracket you posted at the top of your post has 6 mouting points per wall plate, so 12 in total. I would expect that the other bracket has 3 mouting holes at the most.

Sorry. Which are you referring to? As in the single point one would seem to be insufficient you reckon?

Soldato
Look for a cantilever arm bracket. I had one with a 42" Plasma on it (which was far heavier than my current 55" LCD) with no problem whatsoever. Of course, you have to make sure it is mounted securely.

Soldato
There's a million different ones out there, but this sort of thing:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bracket-Sw...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If you put the base in the right place, the flexibility of that arm with an elbow will definitely allow you to have it flat against one of the walls, or standing out at an angle. I don't think you'd be able to have it flat against either wall though - if that's what you wanted.

Soldato
There's a million different ones out there, but this sort of thing:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bracket-Sw...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If you put the base in the right place, the flexibility of that arm with an elbow will definitely allow you to have it flat against one of the walls, or standing out at an angle. I don't think you'd be able to have it flat against either wall though - if that's what you wanted.

That one is absolute junk, even when mounted properly. I speak from experience as I had one holding my 55" TV on the wall but there's so much play in the joints that the TV never sat level and would often tilt forwards on it's own.

Associate
OP
Dear Admin, I only just saw the note about not hot linking; is it possible to un-delete my post and put it into edit mode? I spent rather a long time writing it?

Associate
OP
That one is absolute junk, even when mounted properly. I speak from experience as I had one holding my 55" TV on the wall but there's so much play in the joints that the TV never sat level and would often tilt forwards on it's own.

I'm mostly worried that if it's on the side of the wall (as opposed to both corners or single right angle corner) that it may not fit.

Here's the right angle one I linked above: (Please excuse the crudity of this model. I didn't have time to build it to scale or to paint it._
XDkuD4G.jpg

And then here's what it would do if I used one attached to one side of the wall:

0P6vvaC.jpg

But here's what I'm worried would blatantly end up happening!

N3Y5YvI.jpg

Soldato
Should the wall plugs be metal?

Nope. Follow instructions with fittings with regards to the correct size hole being drilled. They're a decent length with the correct wall plugs. Been holding my plasma up for the past 6 years or so. The bracket is more likely to break than the coach bolts so don't over tighten.

They're spec'd to hold up floor joist plates so shouldn't have any problem with a TV.

Back
Top Bottom