TV Licence Super Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ken
  • Start date Start date
Euros and upcoming olympics were off the menu for non members, or had to rely on broadcast down the pub, though, chose ITV as preferred coverage with its pro-referee

BBC standards falling
Glastonbury coverage - lack of high quality audio streams of all/most stages was disappointing
Strictly : who dares wins : sounds like they should start making this programme exposing the bootcamp training regime of the 'celebrities' could become popular
Speak in properly formed sentences that make sense please.

Been using VPN to watch the football, one evening I connected to a live stream for 5 seconds before I realized VPN wasn't running in the background, killed the connection straight away and loaded VPN, but it seems it was to late. Got an email today saying "something is wrong I watched iplayer but don't have a license" words to that effect. They state the second part of my postcode on email and it looks genuine from a no reply address.

Sure people have been here before, I've not replied. What can I expect next and which steps should I take? Obviously I could have been at my parents house etc etc, but if they start looking at IP addresses - you know where I'm going how far do they persist with this?

Cheers

Been using VPN to watch the football, one evening I connected to a live stream for 5 seconds before I realized VPN wasn't running in the background, killed the connection straight away and loaded VPN, but it seems it was to late. Got an email today saying "something is wrong I watched iplayer but don't have a license" words to that effect. They state the second part of my postcode on email and it looks genuine from a no reply address.

Sure people have been here before, I've not replied. What can I expect next and which steps should I take? Obviously I could have been at my parents house etc etc, but if they start looking at IP addresses - you know where I'm going how far do they persist with this?

Cheers
Completely ignore it.

Cheers
Never heard of that happening before. Sounds like spam.

Olympics that's a bit ominous

I'm going to need a discovery license to see some of the obscure stuff from olympics (like climbing), and a bbc license probably wouldn't matter;
discovery that was free with Sky, had already had better organised catchup videos, than bbc, with last olympics
because Discovery has the rights to show most of it in this country so the BBC's promotion will be far smaller given they are now only showing a very small part of it.

Can guarantee it's going into council tax. Probably an extra 200 a year. Great. May end up more than 200 because it'll be based on band I expect.

"younger people are turning off, the BBC is becoming redundant.. Let's prop it up"

It'll mean they are unaccountable too. At least with the licence fee, if they are really bad. They lose revenue. Like now.

Its too big to fail. And every other model means it will fail.
-subscription, instant fail. It'll crumble due to the pace of revenue collapse
-keep as is, it'll fail long term. This is my preferred solution as it will wind down slowly and will just have to deal with that. But no cliff edge.

Probably one of the worst taxes on the young for the old as it's not an essential.

Last edited:

Cheers

Having faced this myself (kids were using iplayer and I didn't realise it), if you don't respond they will cancel your "I don't need a TV license statement" and you go into the same group of people who have no declaration and no license.

What's even essential about the BBC? Really hope they don't just force it on to us.
Easy to get news and stuff online or paper if your old and don't like computers.

They’ll probably tack it on to council tax or possibly make some of it subscription (which would be fairest imo).
But who knows.

If they tack it on to council tax it'll be the end for the bbc. It'll stop being a licence and become a tax at that point and many people will refuse to pay with echoes of the poll tax. It'll be a right mess.

Yeh no way they could get away with it added to council tax when that's already seeing big increases and people's wallets are already stretched.

The BBC simply has to get smaller and stop paying ridiculous amounts of money for presenters when there's a whole queue that could do the job just as well for much less.

I disagree. I can't see them not putting on council tax.
Can they really let a corporation this big fail?

I don't think they can.
You'd pee off a few people (like me with no licence) but most people would be fine with it

If they go subscription the BBC would die within a year. (I think)

Last edited:
I don't think council tax makes sense - because it's not the council providing this service.
But I think they'll roll it into tax somehow, or at least part of it, I just wish they'd communicate what their plan is.
The whole thing just stresses me out, I don't want to be thinking about whether I should cancel my tv license or not, I try to forget about it but it's always popping back into my head.

Back
Top Bottom