TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
I've paid the tv license yesterday. It is expensive for what it is. Especially when they have manipulated the license fee to not only be about the bbc/c4 but about every other live channel.

I wonder if itv or sky, for example, get any of the license fee money?

Soldato
Here’s something I’ve often wondered, how would you stop someone who hadn’t paid the license fee from watching the BBC with current over the air technology? Does over the air technology support the ability to block out channels that someone isn’t entitled to watch?

I know Sky can do this and obviously streaming services can since you need a login for them.

Soldato
And why is that a bad thing? To have a non commercially driven channel who can produce content that may not be commercially passed/sufficiently audience popular? And with the bonus of no annoying Philip Schofield adverts.

It's peanuts in the household expenditure and given the amount of radio and other BBC content I rely on daily I really don't have an issue with it. I think we'd be worse off without the bbc
If you use it, you should fund it, many others are required to pay the BBC for consuming non-BBC content. There's plenty of things I use daily, I don't expect you to pay for them.

If the BBC was there for information/educational content only, that would be a different matter, but it's not, it's bloated with a lot of rubbish similar to content that other channels fund themself through adverts or subscription.

Soldato
And why is that a bad thing?

I assume you mean in regards to keeping the failing BBC alive rather than filling Capita’s coffers.

It’s just dumbfounding that people just accept the License Fee, and expect others to do so too. Almost like they cannot step back from their views as the BBC being saintly, or “a British Institution” for a second, to just see how outlandish the TV License scheme really is.

Here we have a system, whereby your details are recorded when purchasing a TV (or were, when I last bought one physically in a store), or they just take a punt and think “well, everyone has a TV, so let’s send letters to this address…”, or…. who knows how they know. I digress. And Capita then start firing letters to you, initially softly, but with a veiled threat that you need to buy a license or else. Ignore at your peril, as these letter will then ramp right up in terms of pressure, and then start the threats of visits etc.

Now, to most people below the age of, say, 65 (a guess) we have a better understanding and will either ignore these letters, or fill out an online form telling Capita we don’t need it. But it still feels like a poor ‘cloak and dagger’ scheme, where we are being strongarmed into buying something we may not need, under the threat of investigation, prosecution etc. And for old folks, or anyone who hasn’t followed the objections to the License, they could be low hanging fruit for Capita, and a nice bit of income for the BBC.

Now I have no idea exactly how much of the license fee goes to the BBC, Capita certainly won’t be doing it out of the kindness of their hearts, so will be taking a chunk; but there’s no smoke without fire as they say - and the general consensus is that the ‘fee’ is predominantly going to fund the BBC. I just think that in this day and age, where people are happily paying for subscriptions to various services, the Beeb ought to be doing the same – and stop grabbing money via a shady “license”.

As others have already pointed out on this thread, the rules for needing a license extend to watching anything aired live, irrespective of where you are watching – that just seems ****-end up imo! If I decide to pay Jeff Bezos £80 a year for Prime, and Prime has something aired live – why the hell should the BBC expect to be paid? Pretty sure they didn’t lay the network infrastructure that is getting the Prime show into my home…

It ought to be an easy choice – but it just feels like the pressure the BBC put on Capita to collect, and then Capita put onto the punters, makes you feel like you are a criminal for doing absolutely nothing wrong. I won’t get into what the BBC do and do not offer, as I haven’t watched anything live in many years, and only really hear the term “BBC” when people are banging on about how woke they are, or something they re-wrote in history or whatnot; and frankly I cannot be ****ed to fall into that mire.

Soldato
I've paid the tv license yesterday. It is expensive for what it is. Especially when they have manipulated the license fee to not only be about the bbc/c4 but about every other live channel.

I wonder if itv or sky, for example, get any of the license fee money?

BBC Three re-launched the other day. 80 million pound budget for...

Gangster
Associate
Just had 3 heavies show up my door demanding me to prove I don’t need a tv licence :cry:. I laughed in their face and shut the door.

Absolutely ridiculous 3 big men hired to go round people’s houses asking to prove innocence.

Associate
Had a visit last week asking if I needed help to set up my TV licence. I told him thanks but I was not interested and he said I would get letters about it. Told him it was their money they were wasting by sending them and then goodbye. First visit in 6 years.

Soldato
During these troubling times it's reassuring to have the BBC news service, especially with the amount of nonsense that pollutes the internet these days.

My comment is inspired by an article on BBC Breakfast where they said they had verified that the location in Ukraine was genuine - I trust that 100%.

Soldato
Got another lovely red envelope through the post today, and yet again, I have been promised a visit from the enforcement team in Bath - quite festive looking.

Highly doubt anyone will turn up, they have been making threats for over a year now...

Soldato
Keep getting letters through for the previous tenant in the rental I am in, ive got no onward address for them. I don't watch TV myself so don't have a license. Is it worth bothering contacting them to say the person no longer lives here or just keep throwing them in the bin?

Soldato
If you contact them they'll take your info and note you down as exempt. Then at a later time they'll start hassling you 'just to make sure'.
If you refuse to give details, they'll still send letters but it'll say to 'the occupier' instead, so you're no better off.
Doesn't really leave you with a better option than just binning the letters as you have been doing.

Soldato
If you contact them they'll take your info and note you down as exempt. Then at a later time they'll start hassling you 'just to make sure'.
If you refuse to give details, they'll still send letters but it'll say to 'the occupier' instead, so you're no better off.
Doesn't really leave you with a better option than just binning the letters as you have been doing.
Cheers, will just throw them in the bin. I didnt fancy being pestered by them either for not having one myself.

I presume there is no repercussions for the previous tenant if I keep doing this, they will just get bored eventually I presume. If I tried hard enough I might be able to get in contact with them but will only do so if they are at any risk, they were an old couple so just want to make sure they don't get stung.

Soldato
Keep getting letters through for the previous tenant in the rental I am in, ive got no onward address for them. I don't watch TV myself so don't have a license. Is it worth bothering contacting them to say the person no longer lives here or just keep throwing them in the bin?

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5156/~/ive-received-someone-elses-mail

Royal Mail said:
If you’ve received mail which has your address, but not your name, this is because we deliver to addresses rather than names. If this does happen, you can put a cross through the address and write 'Not known at this address' or 'No longer lives here' and put it back in a letterbox.

Back
Top Bottom