TV Licence Super Thread

Associate
I don't see why people should have to pay for a TV license for online TV services when they are already paying for the internet service?

We are paying more than enough internet services as it is it all seems like a big scandal to me.

Caporegime
I don't see why people should have to pay for a TV license for online TV services when they are already paying for the internet service?

We are paying more than enough internet services as it is it all seems like a big scandal to me.
why do I need a tv license to watch a live tv channel from a foreign country on youtube...

it;s ridiculous and nothing to do with the tv license... it's like a competitor tax...

it's like if weatherspoons have a pub license for customers, but if you wanted to drink in the red lion you still need a weatherspoons license....

cartels and mafias are bad, like every government is one... they just crushed the competition and monopolised everything.

all hail the royal family and worship them.... it's basically just a gangster family that stole power back in the day through violence

Caporegime
I get needing a license for BBC.
I get needing a license for iplayer

I don't get having a license for watching c4 etc live.

BBC is a dinosaur though and unless you force people to pay through an unavoidable tax its doomed.

Let it die

Soldato
285 pages?

Make it optional subscription only like everything else, why the massive discussion?

Because...
If paying for your local schools was an optional subscription then the schools would be financially unsustainable in their present form.
If paying for your local authority leisure centre was an optional subscription then they would be financially unsustainable in their present form.
If paying for the lamp posts on your street was optional subscription then your street would be in darkness every night.

Everything else is not optional subscription, so that's why the discussion.

Don
Because...
If paying for your local schools was an optional subscription then the schools would be financially unsustainable in their present form.
If paying for your local authority leisure centre was an optional subscription then they would be financially unsustainable in their present form.
If paying for the lamp posts on your street was optional subscription then your street would be in darkness every night.

I wish we had local authority leisure centres in my area. The council outsourced / sold all of our local leisure centres (and yes, the costs to visit rose accordingly).

The council also refused to pay for the street lighting on my new-build estate, so I have to pay a management fee and fund that privately.

No comment on schools, although arguably they aren't financially sustainable in the present form either (my local school relies on donations from parents in order to invest in new equipment and technology for the classrooms).

Soldato
I wish we had local authority leisure centres in my area. The council outsourced / sold all of our local leisure centres (and yes, the costs to visit rose accordingly).

The council also refused to pay for the street lighting on my new-build estate, so I have to pay a management fee and fund that privately.

No comment on schools, although arguably they aren't financially sustainable in the present form either (my local school relies on donations from parents in order to invest in new equipment and technology for the classrooms).

This is exactly why we're having this discussion regarding the licence fee model. There are people who don't watch BBC TV just as there are people who don't have school age kids or don't use the local leisure centre, and what these people generally fail to grasp is that it's not about what privately funded competition does and it's also not all about them.

It's not all about them; that's the one they really struggle with.

Associate
Because...

Are you seriously comparing an entertainment tv channel to essential services? I now get why this thread is here, why did I even post.

Soldato
This is exactly why we're having this discussion regarding the licence fee model. There are people who don't watch BBC TV just as there are people who don't have school age kids or don't use the local leisure centre, and what these people generally fail to grasp is that it's not about what privately funded competition does and it's also not all about them.

It's not all about them; that's the one they really struggle with.

I do not understand your point, its not that the fault is with me, its that the fault is with you.

Explain to me, why you are not paying taxes to the north korean government? do you understand that it is, not about you?

Soldato
I do not understand your point, its not that the fault is with me, its that the fault is with you.

Explain to me, why you are not paying taxes to the north korean government? do you understand that it is, not about you?

I'm not a North Korean citizen.

I know you're engaging with the conversation and feel that you have a counterpoint to make, but really you could at least make an attempt at it.

You should consider why you're clutching at the most ridiculous of straws.

Soldato
Has anybody ever actually had an "enforcement officer" come to their house?
In the past I had an excessive amount of "enforcement officer" visits. It wasn't until I withdraw the implied right of access that the visits stopped. Not had anyone in years now or letters as they cannot walk down the drive to post the weekly/monthly letters.

Caporegime
Because...

how is BBC comparable to street light? what next compare them to the fire service and NHS?

Back
Top Bottom