TV license required for PCs???

Associate
Firms that let staff watch the World Cup on broadband could be fined £1,000 if they do not hold a TV licence.
The BBC is streaming more than 50 hours of World Cup football to UK internet users. England's next two games will only be available in audio online.

A TV Licensing spokesperson said: "We know exactly which unlicensed business premises to target."

More than five million UK workers are thought to have high-speed internet access at their desks.

A TV licence is required for any device that is "installed or used" for receiving television broadcasts.

"It doesn't matter how you're watching, if you are watching a live match you will need a licence," said a TV Licensing spokesperson.

The Federation of Small Businesses' Stephen Alambritis said: "We would urge all our members and other businesses to act on this advance warning and check they are correctly licensed."

The BBC can only show live video from matches broadcast on its television channels, which means England's next two games will only be available in audio online. TV coverage for those games is being provided by ITV.

Link

As I recall, you need a TV licence if you have equipment that is capable of receiving TV broadcasts, even if you don't use it. A PC with internet access is thus capable of receiving a TV broadcast and would surely need a TV licence? Doesn't this mean that EVERY PC with an internet connection should have a TV licence?

:confused:

Associate
If you are planning to watch the world cup via broadband then you do not need a TV licence.

If you plan to watch the world cup via your PC with a TV card that is capable of retrieving TV broadcast then you need a TV licence.

If you are planning to watch the world cup on your cable/sky boy to your TV then you need a TV licence.

If you are planning to watch the world cup over freeview then you need a TV licence.

""It doesn't matter how you're watching, if you are watching a live match you will need a licence," said a TV Licensing spokesperson." This does not cover people who are going to watch the match via BBC's website over the internet.

Man of Honour
How are they going to check? The TV licensing Authority are a joke, they try to intimidate people as a method of enforcement. I got a letter from them the other day because a few weeks ago I bought a PVR and they didn't have a record of me having a TV license, despite the fact that it was paid for only three months ago. They are clearly incapable of checking a simple database for licensed homes so there is no way on the planet they will be able to audit and check every workspace in the country. Ignore the fools.

Associate
OP
paul@ said:
If you are planning to watch the world cup via broadband then you do not need a TV licence.

If you plan to watch the world cup via your PC with a TV card that is capable of retrieving TV broadcast then you need a TV licence.

If you are planning to watch the world cup on your cable/sky boy to your TV then you need a TV licence.

If you are planning to watch the world cup over freeview then you need a TV licence.

""It doesn't matter how you're watching, if you are watching a live match you will need a licence," said a TV Licensing spokesperson." This does not cover people who are going to watch the match via BBC's website over the internet.

Do you have a reference for that?

The article specifically addresses people watching TV over the internet and says that you DO need a licence...

Associate
Samtheman1k said:
Do you have a reference that?

The article specifically addresses people watching TV over the internet and says that you DO need a licence...

http://www.tvlicensing.biz/info_on_tvlicensing/index.htm

The real reason why they don't make demand a TV licence for people using the internet to view the football is for 1 very good reason.

1) Very hard to detect, the computer monitor unlike a TV does not leak a signal for them to detect that you are watching unlicenced content.

Last edited:
Soldato
what a load of rubbish!

the TV licence needs to be abolished, its a complete farce.

You need one if you own a TV thats capable of recieving broadcasts, however every PC is capable of going to the bbc website, so why don't we all have to pay a fee!

hacks me off.

Permabanned
Samtheman1k said:
Link

As I recall, you need a TV licence if you have equipment that is capable of receiving TV broadcasts, even if you don't use it. A PC with internet access is thus capable of receiving a TV broadcast and would surely need a TV licence? Doesn't this mean that EVERY PC with an internet connection should have a TV licence?

:confused:

Hate said:
what a load of rubbish!

the TV licence needs to be abolished, its a complete farce.

You need one if you own a TV thats capable of recieving broadcasts, however every PC is capable of going to the bbc website, so why don't we all have to pay a fee!

hacks me off.

A common fallacy; I didn't have a licence for a year because I used my TV only to watch DVDs and use my PS2.

I had this confirmed by the licencing authority; they asked me to detune my TV. I told them that it had built-in freeview and that the building had a communal arial so I could not 'remove an arial' but at the time I did not own a length of coaxial cable. They were satisfied with that, sent me a couple of forms to fill in and Bob's your mothers' brother.

Then when my girlfriend moved in and wanted to watch Desperate Housewives et cetera, I called them up and told them I needed a licence now, sorted a Direct Debit and bought a cable.

*n

Back
Top Bottom