TV License

Associate
Hi all,

I'm coming up to the end of my tenancy agreement at my current place. Currently is a join tennancy agreement between myself, 5 others, and the landlord. We have shared kitchen, bathroom etc, and locks on our individual doors to our bedrooms.

I have a TV license which my housemates have paid me for (for the 9 months we've been there) and my housemates are covered by my TV license to have TVs in their private rooms.

In my new place, I am moving in with the land lady and I have an agreement with her, and the two other tennants have seperates agreements each. Again their are shared facilities, this time NO locks on the individual doors, but her TV license will not cover me to have a TV in my room, and my tv license does not cover her.

Apparently this is becuase I "exclusively occupy" my room. However, that's exactly the same as now...I "exclusively occupy" my current room, but my hosuemates are covered by me!

I asked as to WHY this was the case and was simply told that it just was.

Can anyone come up with a way to justify this or a way that I can argue that in my new house only one TV license is required. I know life isn't fair, but in this situation I really can not see a justifiable reason why the rules are this way!

Help guys, thanks

Associate
OP
-EDIT- Please don't turn this into a BBC is good/bad discussion, create another thread for that. Thanks

I agree that there must be someway to decide if somewhere is a different residence or not, but the block of flats example is flawed in that a block of flats is not one address, it is many, i.e. Flat 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b etc. But I'll be living in a single house with other people, the situation as far as our living arrangement is concerned is more similar to a family home than anything else, it just that there is a tennancy agreement.

I can see that using tennacy agreements is useful but it shouldnt' be the be all and end all, like I said, I can not see any way they can justify this.

Associate
OP
geeza said:
If you have signed a 'separate tenancy agreement' then dont you all have your own address. like i used to live in flat 24B and have my own post box.
Nope, we all have the same address, the stupid thing is that we can't possible have a joint tenancy agreement with the land lady (the license holder) as she can't be on it...she can't have a tenancy agreement with herself!?!?!!

Back
Top Bottom