TV on wireless

If you have a tv card on the desktop;
Im fairly sure you can broadcast it over a port on your network if you have the appropriate hardware and software.

Or you could try virtual server 2005 free download from microsoft.

I think remote desktop would lag bad unless both laptop and pc had decent gpus and a good connection

Last edited:
ukdave said:
Some more info would help, like what your current setup is. How does your 'big' computer stream music etc already?

i have a decent spec pc and laptop, yes i stream avi files and vob files from the pc over the rangemax wireless with no lag, and music files no probs at all.
ive no tv card in the pc

This software looks like what you need.

Someone I know uses it, and I have the client installed on mine, and he can stream video across the internet, with no lag or problems.

So basically you would setup your 'big' machine with this Unreal server, and follow the guide online, its not too hard to setup.. you setup one with the client one with the server, then play with the settings to get them connected.

..On a side note, you can stream video using Skype (the new version that supports video calls).. quite easily, so if you have this it may also be worth look at using it, as it means no extra software is required.

;)

You really need a tv card to watch all the analogue and freeview channels you would get normally for free. To stream tv quality video you would need at least an 8Mb connection anyway, since digital channels are broadcast at about 3-4Mbps.

Last edited:
Video streamed over your own wan isnt going to look good on a screen as big as a laptop assuming you have the normal adsl 256Kbps upload speed, even in xvid 256kbps looks awfull as does 512Kbps, 768Kbps would be boderline for a 15" Screen assuming audio is 64Kbps OGG. Even on a pda 256Kbps is nasty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom