TV Out

Soldato
Err basically how do i connect this up?

Had a x600xt PCI-E card for a while now and want to watch dvd's (etc) on tv via the PC, now i went into the gfx card box and theres only 1 cable that fits the out bit and it only turns in into a yellow composite so basically;

1) How do i get sound as yellow is only picture?
2) The ATI control pannel says theres no tv connected and i have to force it but i get no display onto the tv?!

Also if it helps i've got a winfast tv card also but the wire for that looks the same apart from the fact its the wrong gender, so if i find the right gender cable would the tv out do sound?

Commissario
The yellow you say is video only - you'll need to hook up a connection from your sound card to get sound depending on the TV that will mean stereo jack to 2x phono cable or similar.

If you cannot get the card to recognise the TV make sure the card is
Set to the right region/settings for your TV (Pal I for the UK if memory serves)
Make sure the TV is turned on, and on the right channel when you are attempting to get it to work.

I don't know quite why but some video cards have a real problem detecting some TV's, I think they look for some sort of return signal/continuity between the pins on the TV out, but not all TV's will let it be picked up (if that makes sense?).

I know that with my TV and X800 it can be problematic at times, although it seems to be better with the SVHS connection that it was with the composite one.

Soldato
OP
So even if i got a S-Video (is that the right one?) cable with audio bits on it the audio wouldnt work or would it?

Or is it just impossible?

Last edited:
Associate
It's not impossible! All those analogue video connectors (composite, scart, S-video etc.) are basically interchangable and you should be able to get converters from one to another. Same thing applies for the sound.

Assuming the television has a SCART socket spare on the back of it, or if not there should be one on the back of whatever is using the socket - they will should all connect up in series (sort of) and for this you'll need a SCART adapter that has S-video (5 pin din) and red and white composite female bits on the back.

You'll probably have an extra female line-out on your sound card, else you could just steal the one your speakers are plugged into. You then will need a male 3.5mm stereo jack to male phono plugs (red for right and white for left) these will then plug into the SCART adapter.

As for the video - use S-video as it's better quality video (they say) and take it from the back of your graphics card (most graphics cards have a female 5 pin din on the back for this job I'm assuming yours does) to the SCART adapter - male to male s-video cable.

so your shopping list would be:

Svideo + phono SCART adpater
3.5mm male to red and white phono male lead
svideo lead male to male

That would work connection speaking but I'm not sure wether the graphics card would pick it up as I don't know what connections are on the back of your TV and on your graphics card.

My whole explanation sounds pretty complex but it's not too hard to do when you know what you need. I'd be able to help you better if I was actually there with you.

Hope I've helped, if just a little

Soldato
OP
Okay i think i've got everything i need already (have boxes of electrical stuff) but im wondering if i can make is simplier so can you guys have a look at the wiring diagram;

Blk - Scart
Gry - Video
Grn - Sound via red and white leads
Brown - arial

Scarts.JPG

Also i use the green one for my spks at the moment so which would i use for the tv?

which%20one.JPG

Caporegime
You have to use the green for sound, you can't use any of the others since they only give front or rear or centre sounds for analogue 5.1 surround sound. Unless you can get a spdif to analogue stero converter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom