Twins Arrived. What Family Car?

Soldato
Hi All.

I'm looking to PX my M135i for a family-friendly car which should be able to carry twins and all the associated pram etc that goes with the territory.

I'm thinking of something around a 20k budget. I can increase this to 25k is the car really tickles my fancy. Must have wipe-clean seats (leather). MPG is not important as it'll not be driven for any distance regularly. I have my GT4 and MX5 for fun and a van for daily duties, so this will be used by the missus mostly for family runs to shops, holidays etc. I may jump in it of an evening so I'd like something with a bit of poke.

My initial thoughts were something like an Audi A6 Avant 2016/17 3.0l (320ps). An Octavia VRS Estate Petrol DSG, or ??? Answers on a postcard.

Soldato
OP
Congrats on the twins;

Can't really offer any advice - I don't have kids, so never really looked into any proper practical cars. But congrats! :)

Thanks buddy. 2 for the price of 1. Certainly keeps us busy!

If you want something with 'poke' for £25k, get a BMW F25 X3 35d, 313BHP, 8 Speed Auto, 0-60 in 5.3 seconds etc, yet will still do over 30MPG even in the worst of commutes and can even get mid to high 40's if driven like a saint.
The funny thing is, the 35d in this is the exact same engine as in all the 40d variants in other models (313BHP)

This one (2017) has an amazing spec list for very close to £25K (https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906289517902)
- Dynamic Damping (Really helps as the standard M-Sport suspension is a bit harsh, this allows you the choice)
- Surround View (very useful to help the Mrs gain confidence when manoeuvring around tight spaces)
- Adaptive LED Headlights (Nice to look at, I don't really notice much difference from any
- Heated Electric Front Seats (even electric seats was not 'standard', the only option I had to forego :( )
- Heated Steering Wheel
- NBT Evo infotainment (that bit newer/nicer, only added in the last year of production)

I've just swapped the Mrs' X-Trail to one of these (slightly older, but has a good options list including the surround view, LED headlights, and even a Pan Roof) and can't really fault it, the performance is so smooth and it really hauls..

Had this one been around 2 month ago I'd have persuaded the Mrs to get over her fear of white cars (The X3 looks good in white, my Mrs just hates anything in white) as bar the Pan Roof it has every option I'd care about and some of those are very rare (in fact Surround view was on our essential list, only 2 X3's in the country had it when we where looking).

That's really helpful - thanks for taking the time. I'll look into it.

I really like the superb...its such a smart looking car

just looks so pin sharp in the sportline trim

Quite like the Superb styling (more than the Octavia). All this SUV talk has got me thinking of something that sits a bit higher. To me, I prefer a lower car but I can see the thought process behind a higher car for ease of ingress with kids.

Soldato
OP
A wee update: I put a deposit down on an 2014 X5 40d, 30k miles.

What surprised me when looking at these was that hardly anyone specced Harman Kardon. Literally around 5% of all the cars have it. The rest of the spec is good; soft close doors, surround view, pan roof and 7 seats. Should be a good family wagon!

The car comes with some genuine carbon bits but I'm really not fussed for them (look chavvy to me) so may remove them and sell them. From what I can see they cost a lot new (carbon splitter, diffuser & spoiler).

Here's a pic, but I'll update with more when I get it.

x5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom