Twisty puzzles.

Soldato
Anyone into solving and collecting these?

I had a Rubik's cube (3x3x3) in the early 80's as a kid and had the urge to get another one late last year as my mid life crisis took hold, so I picked up a modern 3x3x3 "speed cube".

Since then I've added a 2x2x2, 4x4x4, 5x5x5 and Megaminx (dodecahedron) to the collection and really enjoy messing with them and learning the differences between their methods.

So, are there any other cubers on here?

Soldato
OP
They were a nightmare, weren't they?

I just got some MLube cube lube last week and it's made a huge difference to the Qiyi Warrior W (3x3x3) I added magnets to.

I haven't lubed the others. The 2x2x2 doesn't need any and I don't speed solve on the bigger cubes yet.

Soldato
They were a nightmare, weren't they?

I just got some MLube cube lube last week and it's made a huge difference to the Qiyi Warrior W (3x3x3) I added magnets to.

I haven't lubed the others. The 2x2x2 doesn't need any and I don't speed solve on the bigger cubes yet.

They are, original cube isn’t great. I also have a large 3x3 cube that doubles as a light. It’s a nightmare to do though lol

Soldato
OP
They are, original cube isn’t great. I also have a large 3x3 cube that doubles as a light. It’s a nightmare to do though lol

Haha, I can imagine. Unless everything's lined-up with laser precision, it jams. Right? What a PITA.

Soldato
Bought my son a Rubik's cube and I've taught myself the layers method using righty lefty, pretty straightforward.

Not looked but are there other ways of solving it I assume? The speed solvers are mental! Blindfolded are witches.

Soldato
OP
Bought my son a Rubik's cube and I've taught myself the layers method using righty lefty, pretty straightforward.

Not looked but are there other ways of solving it I assume? The speed solvers are mental! Blindfolded are witches.

Nice. I'm guessing you've learn't the beginners method - it's where most people start. From there I moved to the Friedrich/CFOP (Cross, First two layers (F2L), Orientate last layer (OLL), Permutate last layer (PLL)) method, which is similar to BM but is more efficient. For example, when solving the first two layers (F2L), in CFOP you pair the corner and edge pieces before inserting them whereas in BM you insert the corner pieces first, then take them out again to pair with their respective edge piece.

There are many other efficiencies with CFOP too, when solving the last layer. I'm a long way from learning all the last layer cases and algorithms but it's something I can build on with time. At the moment I do 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL but it's possible to complete these stages in 1-look if you learn a lot more algorithms.

Another popular method is called Ruwix but I haven't looked into that at all yet.

Soldato
OP
Just magnetised my MF3S (the one on the left) with 4x2mm N50 magnets (48 of them!). It feels much more stable now at looser tensions and layers stop more accurately without overshooting...

...and a new cube arrived - a Mini Aolong (the one on the right). I actually ordered a Aolong V2 but they sent the Mini instead. Hey-ho, I've wanted to try a smaller cube for a while (54.5mm as opposed to 56/57mm) so it's no great shakes. It feels great but will also be getting the magnet treatment if I end up keeping it.

cubes.jpg

Soldato
OP
Contain your excitement folks but I got a couple of new puzzles! :) A Moyu Aolong V2 3x3 cube very kindly sent to me for free by the "Smart Cubes" store on Ali Express following their mistake (they sent me a Mini Aolong the first time, which they very kindly said I can keep), and a disentanglement puzzle - Hanayama's Enigma. Good stuff.

aolongv2enigma.jpg

PS. I timed myself speed-solving the 3x3 the other evening for the first time in a couple of months. My average over 5 solves was 48 seconds with a new PB of 40 seconds. I'm getting closer to my goal of a sub 30 PB and still have lots of OLL and PLL algs to learn.

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought a cheap 3x3 and when it came the stickers hadn't been peeled correctly, and were stuck on still with white bits on the edges. Some had the middles pushed through. So now i'm waiting for a refund.

I need something to keep the dexterity of my left hand after an operation. What's a decent one to get? (other than the original)

Soldato
OP
I bought a cheap 3x3 and when it came the stickers hadn't been peeled correctly, and were stuck on still with white bits on the edges. Some had the middles pushed through. So now i'm waiting for a refund.

I need something to keep the dexterity of my left hand after an operation. What's a decent one to get? (other than the original)

Any modern speedcube from one of the big names will be great. A very popular budget cube is the MF3RS2 (and it's predecessor, the MF3RS) by Mofang Jiaoshi (a sub-brand of MoYu). Don't be put off by the relatively low price - they are very good cubes. I'd avoid the Rubik's branded cubes because they don't turn as smoothly and are more prone to catching, unfortunately.

Good luck with the recovery.

Back
Top Bottom