Two hours at LHR - too short for onward trip to USA?

Soldato
I'm travelling to the USA (specifically Dallas) next month via LHR and I'm having qualms about a mere 2 hour layover at LHR. I'm wondering if it's going to be sufficient, especially if there is American immigration stuff involved at this end. I'll be travelling business class if it makes any difference.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
You don't say where you are travelling from but im assuming Aberdeen? There is no CBP pre clearance in Scotland or England, so you will be doing "US immigration stuff" when you arrive at your US POE.

If it's all booked under one ticket then there is no problem, 2 hours should be more than enough, especially as you should be disembarking first traveling Business. If you miss it then you will be put on the next flight anyway, so don't worry about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
2 hours is fine - had 70 minutes before and made it no bother.

Immigration is at the other end of your journey.

Make sure you have done your ESTA before you go

Associate
minimum connection time is fine with a 2 hour gap between flights. does your domestic flight and international flight both use T5? As long as it's all on a single ticket then nothing really difficult that couldn't be sorted if required. Having avoided LHR for a few years I'm not too up to date on what it's like but the only potential issue would be if you were slightly delayed on the domestic flight and it was then parked up at a international gate and you ended up getting bussed to arrival area which can add on time.

Last edited:
Associate
If both flights in T5 it will only take a few minutes presuming your biz class ticket gets you security fast track. Add 20-30 mins if you need to get a bus between terminals.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just to update the thread, the two hour layover both was and wasn’t enough. The problem was that my flight to LHR was delayed by 90 mins. This would have left me very little time to get to my next flight, especially as it was the other end of the terminal - i used the train shuttle. Fortunately, that flight had also been delayed by 2 hours so the problem disappeared. There were no controls or anything beyond checking boarding passes. Immigration at Dallas was a doddle. they checked my passport and that was it.

And yesterday i was sitting on a sun-lounger beside a pool sipping white wine while watching the eclipse.

Back
Top Bottom