Two iPhone screen failures in two days...

Soldato
Went on holiday to Cyprus....

Day 1 - Child #1's iPhone XS screen went blank.
Day 2 - Managed to locate a recommended to repair company who came to the hotel to collect. Took away. Diagnosed. Repaired. Returned that day!
Still Day2 - As I was meeting the repair guy in the lobby, child #2 had just told me their iPhone XS screen had started playing up - Right hand portion of screen failed to recognised touch.
Day 3 - Phoned up same repair guy to collect phone #2 from hotel. He Took away. Diagnosed. Repaired. Returned that day!

So two iPhone XS screens in two days... Grrr...

Soldato
OP
Remove phone from child and sort it out when you get back. You are supposed to be on holiday.
Climb down from that soap box you needlessly scrambled up onto.

So, while we're away you're suggesting they can't enjoy taking photos or sharing their experiences? So we can't communicate easily with them (eg: when they are off elsewhere)?

LOL! One of said children is 19!

Sheesh some people just can't help themselves... It's a topic about the bizarre failure of two iPhones in 24hrs?

ie: I'm interested in if other people have experienced strange iPhone screen failures, maybe due to extreme heat conditions or humidity (Cyprus is both).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm interested in if other people have experienced strange iPhone screen failures, maybe due to extreme heat conditions or humidity (Cyprus is both).
Dimming or blank/black screens can be caused by high temperatures as the operating temperature of iPhones isn't particular high, something like 35c. Usually you can "revive" them by forcing a reboot (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412) and cooling the phone - seen it a work a few times when users leave them in cars or in the sun.
Although the phone(s) would have displayed the "too hot" warning if they got near/outside of the operating temperature.

Second iPhone sounds like digitiser failure, maybe the adhesive failed in the heat, but could be anything.

Were both diagnosed as screen failures?

Soldato
OP
Dimming or blank/black screens can be caused by high temperatures as the operating temperature of iPhones isn't particular high, something like 35c. Usually you can "revive" them by forcing a reboot (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201412) and cooling the phone - seen it a work a few times when users leave them in cars or in the sun.
Although the phone(s) would have displayed the "too hot" warning if they got near/outside of the operating temperature.

Second iPhone sounds like digitiser failure, maybe the adhesive failed in the heat, but could be anything.

Were both diagnosed as screen failures?
Yeh, I did all the forced reboots and leaving for X hours turned off I could find. Nothing seemed to help:-
iPhone XS #1 - Was just a completely dead/blank screen, although it was still doing its vibrates and ping noises etc.
iPhone XS #2 - About 20mm of the entire right of the screen wouldn't detect. We opened up the draw package, painted, and there was a perfect column down the right that wasn't detecting.

Both were diagnosed as screen failures, and the company/chap seemed trustworthy, but you never fully know I guess. He gave the option for a geniune Apple screen or a cheaper 3rd party etc.

It was hot in Cyprus, around 36 degrees at times, and very humid, so can only think that combined with uber bad luck killed them both in 24hrs... :(

Bother our Samsungs survived fine :)

Permabanned
went blank did you not try volume up volume down and hold power button for 15 secs ?

usually just a hard reset works for that

as for the repair sounds like a crap screen.

Soldato
OP
went blank did you not try volume up volume down and hold power button for 15 secs ?

usually just a hard reset works for that

as for the repair sounds like a crap screen.
Yeh... Went on an iPhone master class that first evening googling how to reset, reboot etc etc :) Nothing unfortunately helped either phone.

I recon both screens failed due to heat and humidity, with an added big dose of bad luck!

Permabanned
Yeh... Went on an iPhone master class that first evening googling how to reset, reboot etc etc :) Nothing unfortunately helped either phone.

I recon both screens failed due to heat and humidity, with an added big dose of bad luck!

didi you pay twice then ?
what was the cost ?

Soldato
OP
Good news it got resolved. But no way it was an authentic screen he was offering if it’s not an ASP/ARS. Just a better not legit one

What's "ASP/ARS"?

And want the punchline to the story?

Last week my son dropped his phone and broke the screen... DOH!
:rolleyes:

:)

Soldato
OP
Guessing at Authorised Service Provider/Apple Retail Store.

I reckon you knew that anyway, as it was a repair guy who came to your hotel :)
Not entirely fair. It was a repair guy you collected and returned the device to the hotel. ie: He wasn't sitting there in the hotel lobby with a pair of plyers :)

The company involved was recommended by an IT guy who's firm uses them.

Soldato
Went on holiday to Cyprus....

Day 1 - Child #1's iPhone XS screen went blank.
Day 2 - Managed to locate a recommended to repair company who came to the hotel to collect. Took away. Diagnosed. Repaired. Returned that day!
Still Day2 - As I was meeting the repair guy in the lobby, child #2 had just told me their iPhone XS screen had started playing up - Right hand portion of screen failed to recognised touch.
Day 3 - Phoned up same repair guy to collect phone #2 from hotel. He Took away. Diagnosed. Repaired. Returned that day!

So two iPhone XS screens in two days... Grrr...

Keep magnetic fields away from your phones

Back
Top Bottom