two versions of Visual Express on same computer

Associate
Hi,
I have Microsoft Visual Express for Windows 8 installed on my Windows 8 desktop and I want to also install the Visual Express for Desktop version on the same computer. I noticed during the first install that the name of the installation directory doesn't indicate which one it is, so that made me wonder whether there could be any caveats to installing both versions.

For example, is it necessary to change the install directory to something else when I go to install the for Desktop version? I know that ideally the installer should detect this stuff, but something tells me the installer won't be so considerate. So is there any heads up type stuff with installing both? I would like to avoid uninstalling/reinstalling messiness.

By the way, this are concurrent versions of Visual Express in terms of version numbers. It's just one is targeted specifically for Desktop development. Well you know what I mean if you've installed them.

Thanks

Associate
It works for me. I've got express 2012 for windows desktop and the "for windows 8" versions running along side each other at the moment.

I installed the, I'm going to call it the metro, one but then had a read about all the licencing issues if you don't want to put your programs on the Microsoft store.

I mean $3000 for 100 side load licences and you can't split it.

Associate
OP
Cheers, thanks for confirmation. There can be surprises with these more elaborate installations, but good to hear that this is water tight.

Did you manually set a different install directory for the second install or did you accept the default "\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0" install directory for both versions?

Cheers

Associate
Honestly I didn't even notice there was a choice to be made!
They both get installed in that directory. The exe's are in .\common\IDE\VSWinexpress.exe and .\common\IDE\WDExpress.exe

It's slightly annoying that the icons are the same just with a slightly different blue.

Back
Top Bottom