Two windows drives corrupting each other !?

Associate
Over the years I've often noticed having two windows drives in one machine causes problems with the one you haven't booted from if then left alone in the system.

Happened again today. Ormally booting off an M2 drive (win7 pro) I needed to examine it using Windows 10 drivers so added in a velociraptor with win10. I achieved my aim but on removing the raptor I found one of the nightmare symptoms. CHKDSK reared its ugly head on boot and claimed something was wrong with the win7 M2 drive and ran TWICE finding no errors before booting normally.

I got away with it this time but have wrecked installations in the past. Windows on the boot drive is clearly messing with the other. What's going on ??

Capodecina
Soldato
I have seen (and suffered from) this behavior before.

I believe that it is because Windows 10 doesn't entirely "release" all drives when shut down, I think that it leaves them "mounted" and then "hibernates", this is done to allow fast booting.

There is a way to tell Windows 10 to dismount all drives when shutting down but I can't remember what it is - someone more knowledgeable about Windows 10 will doubtless be along soon to advise ;)

edited: Have a look here at TenForums and/or WindowsCentral, they should explain the issue and provide a solution.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have seen (and suffered from) this behavior before.

I believe that it is because Windows 10 doesn't entirely "release" all drives when shut down, I think that it leaves them "mounted" and then "hibernates", this is done to allow fast booting.

There is a way to tell Windows 10 to dismount all drives when shutting down but I can't remember what it is - someone more knowledgeable about Windows 10 will doubtless be along soon to advise ;)

edited: Have a look here at TenForums and/or WindowsCentral, they should explain the issue and provide a solution.

Thanks !. I've seen this issue over many years though, well before win10.

Permabanned
Disable the power setting so a Shut Down is really a Shutdown not a "Hybrid" Shutdown or simply press SHIFT and Shutdown with is a Full Shutdown.

A lot of people see issues with this over time so I reboot most days to take care of my end.

Capodecina
Soldato
On a side note I noticed my big (non-boot) drive had a file added into the root 'bootsqm.dat' !?!?
The bootsqm.dat file only gets created when you run some software that requires to check disk for errors. It is basically a scratchpad for use by this command so that it can keep track of what, if any, corrections it needs to apply to the disk. You can manually delete it as there's no harm in deleting the file.
Google is an incredible repository of information.

Yes, apart from anything else their versions of NTFS can be different.
Yup Microsoft just lurves standards ;)

Soldato
Over the years I've often noticed having two windows drives in one machine causes problems with the one you haven't booted from if then left alone in the system.

Happened again today. Ormally booting off an M2 drive (win7 pro) I needed to examine it using Windows 10 drivers so added in a velociraptor with win10. I achieved my aim but on removing the raptor I found one of the nightmare symptoms. CHKDSK reared its ugly head on boot and claimed something was wrong with the win7 M2 drive and ran TWICE finding no errors before booting normally.

I got away with it this time but have wrecked installations in the past. Windows on the boot drive is clearly messing with the other. What's going on ??

Windows links bootable drives if you open the boot manager you'll see both from whatever version you've been booting regularly. The only way around it I've found was a payware boot manager that basically rendered the other bootable partition non-readable by Windows - you could have either one or the other active/bootable.

I believe that Microsoft began the practice with Windows 8 - from which I have never suffered ;)

It began in Windows 7. It wasn't an issue in XP.

Back
Top Bottom