1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tygon flexible tubing

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by TangoEchoAlpha, Jan 12, 2019.

1. TangoEchoAlpha

Hitman

I am looking at flexible tubing options for my first water loop, just to keep things simple as I am a complete newbie to water cooling.

I hope that by using flexible tubing and compression fittings, it should mean that I can avoid having to be as exact with sizes as I would with rigid tubing and fittings.

I've been looking at Tygon flexible tubing, seems to be very good quality. Does anyone have any experience of it?

2. MikeTimbers

Soldato

Mayhems is supposedly very good. Tygon back in the day was excellent but the other brands have caught up. I've just done a build using the EK Duraclear and have leeching after only a week.

3. TangoEchoAlpha

Hitman

Thanks for that :)

4. CageyH

Associate

That is not good. It may be a bad batch. I had issues and spoke to EK, who sent me some new tube.

5. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

Another vote for Mayhems here. It is very good tubing and is extremely good value. Tubing is a throw away item and it's silly to pay any more than what Mayhems is asking. I have used Masterkleer, XSPC, Primochill LRT soft tubing in the past and all of them have leeched plasticiser which then clogged my blocks. I then discovered Mayhems tubing and have never looked at anything else since. I now use hardline tubing inside my case but still use a lot of Mayhems 10/16mm externally to connect to my windowsill mounted radiators.

6. TangoEchoAlpha

Hitman

Cheers all, will give the Mayhems tubing a go!

7. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

Forgot to write that you still need to match up compression fitting sizes to tubing sizes. So Mayhems 16/10mm tubing requires 16/10mm compression fittings although you can get the tubing to fit with 7/16" (16/11mm) compression fittings. It's a very tight fit but it does work and I have had no problems using these sizes. Monsoon 16/10mm Chaingun fittings do not work with Mayhems 16/10mm tubing. They don't grip the tubing at all and it can easily be pulled off with just a gentle pull. Other Monsoon 16/10mm fittings are fine.

8. Holst1981

Hitman

I'm still using Tygon and old school barbs.

By far the easiest way to watercool.

9. Bugbait

Gangster

I noticed this as well but it could be a batch issue with Mayhems or a case of counterfeit. I bought some 13/19 from Amazon and it was loose on my Monsoon fittings but the latest batch I bought (about a year later) from OCUK had thicker walls and gripped quite well on the same compression fittings. The Amazon tubing looks identical except for the slightly thinner walls and didn't leech in the year I had them in use.

10. pastymuncher

Man of Honour

My tubing was direct from Mayhems (it's cheaper that way) and the Monsoon fittings were from OCUK so nothing was counterfeit. These Monsoon fittings work perfectly though because as soon as I discovered the Chaingun fittings were no good I ordered a kit of these and are still using them. I think it's down to the design of the chaingun fittings.

11. Bugbait

Gangster

I was referring to my tubing from Amazon that may have been fake :) I actually have the fittings you linked, not the chain gun ones. The Amazon tubing was still loose with those but the OCUK stuff was fine.

12. Nem

Wise Guy

Used Tygon for the last 15 years until the last build refresh when I've tried Mayhems Ultra Clear. Not quite as chunky as the Tygon but seems as good in every other way and cheaper by far.

13. darket

Wise Guy

Another vote here for the mayhems tubing and the same issues with the EK duraclear , i had to strip all my waterblocks.