Type R and VTEC owners

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
If it's not in Torbay it's too far for me ;)

Although Portsmouth is doable as well as there 2/3 days a week at the moment so could see if they cover that area and get them done at work.

Caporegime
Well toda is on. Not took it a drive yet as i need to install a radiator (house one) :(

All nice new gaskets and fasteners which made fitting go smoothly. I forgot I broke my anti CEL spacer so need to get another to stop the light coming on.
3B0B07D1-096D-4998-8A4B-F5C61B562D1B-18152-000008A2C0FC69AC.jpg

Old vs new and about half the weight so 6kg saving.
E4827253-D421-4C72-9337-2D7C556BE688-18152-000008A2DDBE6163.jpg

Briefly started it and at idle sounds no different from engine. Was worried the thinner pipe wall and no heat shield would make valve train noise louder.

Caporegime
How much of a job was it? e.g. Just straightforward but time consuming?

Hardest bit was the lower heat shield bolt. Was straight forward other than that, I'd recently had the cat off when I changed the secondary lambda sensor so that was easy. The manifold was taken off 4 years ago for the clutch.

Soldato
Strange happenings with my EP3 clutch.

Car is on 75k now so it's at "that time".

- Pedal is getting stiff/uncomfortable to use

- Sometimes it squeaks and creaks as you press it

- More strangely when the revs are high and you press the clutch you get a short high pitched squeak which is also related to pedal pressure... if you keep it in first and roll at a few mph with the clutch in and redline it the pedal tries to push back and squeaks/squeals for a split second whilst you apply more pressure?

- I get a weird rattle at 3000rpm. This aint heatshields as they've all been removed. I can understand release bearing noise but why a rattle?! Press the clutch, away it goes... does this in neutral and if you're driving, so you hear the rattle as you come down the revs for example. It's not real bad but it's enough to think hmm whats that all about. Flywheel noise?

- Mechanic says it's just the release bearing, clutch operation is fine. It doesn't slip.

- Getting a little notchy to get into gear now. 4th especially, moreso when pushing on for first to second also.

Time to change? Are these the common ep3 dead clutch traits?

Last edited:
Associate
Strange happenings with my EP3 clutch.

Car is on 75k now so it's at "that time".

- Pedal is getting stiff/uncomfortable to use

- Sometimes it squeaks and creaks as you press it

- More strangely when the revs are high and you press the clutch you get a short high pitched squeak which is also related to pedal pressure... if you keep it in first and roll at a few mph with the clutch in and redline it the pedal tries to push back and squeaks/squeals for a split second whilst you apply more pressure?

- I get a weird rattle at 3000rpm. This aint heatshields as they've all been removed. I can understand release bearing noise but why a rattle?! Press the clutch, away it goes... does this in neutral and if you're driving, so you hear the rattle as you come down the revs for example. It's not real bad but it's enough to think hmm whats that all about. Flywheel noise?

- Mechanic says it's just the release bearing, clutch operation is fine. It doesn't slip.

- Getting a little notchy to get into gear now. 4th especially, moreso when pushing on for first to second also.

Time to change? Are these the common ep3 dead clutch traits?

If it ain't slipping drive on.....

Squeaking and creaking when pressing the clutch pedal is a common fault and nothing serious. The other symptoms I don't know about.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I know on the S2000 the creaky/squeaky pedal can be cured by greasing up the pin thing in the slave clutch cylinder, or something like that :p

Associate
As said if you can live with it crack on but if its driving you insane or you think it's completely ruining the feel of your then change the clutch.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
My new clutch went on yesterday. Difference is night and day.
Mine was doing every single thing you described Stormster,

Now it's in, everything is going well. Makes me remember the things I love about my car.
Light clutch, precision smooth gear changes.
If you need it doing, just get it sorted. Mine was in real bad shape as the pics will show you.
Last thing you want to happen is for it to give out and leave you stranded when the weather is getting worse.

20121027_122704.jpg

Fyi, it's not supposed to be like that

Associate
im in the market for an early s2000 for a weekend car that is going to see some light track action over the next 2 years, do you think its worth holding out a few more months to see if the prices drop a bit? im budgeting £4500 - £5000 for the car as id like to spend some cash on brakes and tyres etc.

Back
Top Bottom