Type R and VTEC owners

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Not sure. I think without going for manifolds there isn't much I need to bother with.
A k100 would be nice but it's a lot of money to smooth out the power graph and make more power in the mid range.

I think that money would be best put into my new car fund.

Here is my run with just the Gruppe M fitted. This was the day you ran the DC2 Muffin.

ep3powergraph.jpg

notice the ambient temps for this run were less than half of the previous run, The operator assures me that the dyno is calibrated to correct this and is more accurate with NA cars than FI

DynoComp.jpg

you can see the previous run on this graph. it makes a little more in vtec, you can see the curve becomes marginally steeper now, and there is power everywhere in the graph. not bad for a cat back I was expecting a 5bhp increase out of.

Soldato
anyone on here own a EP3 without air-con ?

saw a nice one local - but doesn't have air-con. Both our Civics (a 1998 and a 2005 one) seem to suffer quite badly from steaming up (my Prelude did as well) - and my initial thoughts were that an EP3 without air-con would be a right pain in the winter ? (not so bothered in the summer - you can always open the window ....)

Soldato
Thats real good going. I need get mine on the rollers, all it has is a cat back magnex though, standard bore, straight through b-pipe... I think I'll at least chuck a 2.5" b-pipe on and decent induction kit and see what it does, been meaning get it on some rollers for ages but never had time. Sweet result though mate!

Mine doesn't have aircon Buckster, it's fine really, if you keep the heaters on pointing at your side windows and windscreen you won't have any issues even if it gets hot enough to turn the heat down a bit. Just chuck a new pollen filter in too if you get one minus aircon :)

You may find the rear side windows will steam up a bit though :)

Soldato
I know TDI aren't the final word on everything Honda but interesting post they made re FN2 rear beam after the hysterical Clarkson sheep and JDM YO crowd caught on to this buzzword.

Don't worry about the rear beam either. It's better than the independent rears. It doesn't move about, is stronger and stays set!

Car I heavier than the EP3 and you can feel the weight but it's in the chassis. Even just in a decent set of springs on a track it will blow a similarly powered EP3 away.

I was lapping Oulton in my 260bhp FN2 as quick as our 450bhp supercharged EP3 Time attack car. It's flatter in the corners, wider and has loads more grip.
The championship winning Honda BTCC cars still retain rear beam as well.

Not trying to start anything here, some people like older cars/models and some don't. FN2 has been a great base to build on and I don't regret it one bit, nor am I finished.
For anyone having doubts about buying an FN2, drive one first, a lot of the comments you see are ones quoted from people who have never driven both the cars they are comparing, just focusing on things what Clarkson said and some guy on the forum wot has a well mint EP3.

I love all Honda's but when the next gen comes out I won't start dismissing it based on a bad Topgear review. Nor will I dismiss it based on the fact I cannot afford one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Choice is a wonderful thing. I preferred the more up to date interior and the fact I haven't seen any in Mcdonalds yet. Needed to do a fair few things mind to get it to my liking. Got a lot still to do as well but thankfully a promotion has meant that these should be finished very soon.

Soldato
I know TDI aren't the final word on everything Honda but

So their FN2 (190hp down on the TA EP3) actually has a Mugen Flux Capacitor.... (or the EP3 was broke in some way).

Wow, I'm going to junk my DC2 and buy a FN2 time machine for TDI to fettle with their pixie dust..........

Last edited:
Soldato
No idea, I just like opinions from people who aren't so biased to their own personal choice that you actually get some worth while opinions or even facts that didn't originate from JDM YO forums :)

Permabanned
Obviously the FN2 is a nicer place to be but the numbers speak for themselves.

Same Engine.

FN2 - 1357 KG
EP3 - 1204 KG

Now what brings the FN2 a little closer to the EP3 is the earlier introduction of VTEC.

FN2 - 5400rpm
EP3 - 5800rpm

Close the VTEC engagement points up with a KPRO / K100 and I'm sure the EP3 would have quite the edge over an FN2.

Soldato
I read in other places the FN2 is about 1267kg... which would make sense with its performance figures.

I've yet to drive one but the interiors are a lot nicer, I do miss my mod cons a bit! Still not sure I want another high revving beast after this one though, I love it but I'd like some boost again too :)

Now if I could get a turbo'd/supercharged FN2 in a couple of years all ready done, I'd definitely consider it though... :D

Soldato
FN2 has a shorter final drive in the gearbox, 5.062 vs 4.764. It does have larger wheels though.

I'm fitting the FD to my gearbox, for the same size wheels it is about ~5mph lower top speed in each gear but should accelerate quicker.

Neil.

Caporegime
Not sure. I think without going for manifolds there isn't much I need to bother with.
A k100 would be nice but it's a lot of money to smooth out the power graph and make more power in the mid range.

I think that money would be best put into my new car fund.

Here is my run with just the Gruppe M fitted. This was the day you ran the DC2 Muffin.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/rjkoneill/ep3powergraph.jpg[/IMG]

notice the ambient temps for this run were less than half of the previous run, The operator assures me that the dyno is calibrated to correct this and is more accurate with NA cars than FI

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/rjkoneill/DynoComp.jpg[/IMG]

you can see the previous run on this graph. it makes a little more in vtec, you can see the curve becomes marginally steeper now, and there is power everywhere in the graph. not bad for a cat back I was expecting a 5bhp increase out of.

Nice gains, there's a group buy and a mapping session which makes it 'only' £636

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=263959&sid=dd9e0e7d3b3da19b17daabd23e7aef47

Soldato
So their FN2 (190hp down on the TA EP3) actually has a Mugen Flux Capacitor.... (or the EP3 was broke in some way).

Wow, I'm going to junk my DC2 and buy a FN2 time machine for TDI to fettle with their pixie dust..........

Lol! Complete none existent understanding of physics and the effects of moving mass.

Once a 1ltr Corsa is moving and the momentum is there (is at its speed) it wont be much slower than a car with twice the power around your average track.

This is why a 200bhp hot hatch that laps in 2minutes of track X may only be 10seconds slower than a 500bhp super car.

Double the BHP doesn't mean double the speed and half the track times. If that was the case a Veyron would lap the Nuremburg ring in about 1minutes 25seconds... :rolleyes:

Soldato
Lol! Complete none existent understanding of physics and the effects of moving mass.

Once a 1ltr Corsa is moving and the momentum is there (is at its speed) it wont be much slower than a car with twice the power around your average track.

This is why a 200bhp hot hatch that laps in 2minutes of track X may only be 10seconds slower than a 500bhp super car.

Double the BHP doesn't mean double the speed and half the track times. If that was the case a Veyron would lap the Nuremburg ring in about 1minutes 25seconds... :rolleyes:

Thats not too far off the DTM cars that do the 'ring' in 1:15.

The ring in that city being the Norisring of course.

Back
Top Bottom