Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Finally! What year is it?

2000. So a pre-facelift, with the less road tax. Not much optional extras, I'm not fussed about those. It's the drive which matters.

They are good cars. :)

Yes they are, mine pulls very hard in VTEC. I have a question though I'm concerned about a noise mine makes as I lift off the accelerator. It's like a brrrrr kind of noise, closest I can explain it. Sounds like it's coming from the front of the car and does it in every gear past 3k rpm. I asked the owner and he said it's the LSD since it's cold.

It's had the gearbox syncros done back in 2010 by VTEC Direct, so I'm quite worried that the box may go out again.

Soldato
Heatshield somewhere Vita?

I wouldn't think so. It's really strange and only does it on lift off. He did say it happens every winter and was honest about the car. I'm however skeptical, and will have to investigate when the weather is better. I spent all day cleaning her today, It was cold but worth it.

I've always wanted a Honda and I should have really thought about my last car purchase a lot more thoroughly. Lesson learnt, this will be a long keeper for me. It ticks all the boxes and I enjoy driving it as it's not the always in your face type of car. VTEC is very addictive, a shame as it only wants 98ron. I filled up with 97 and the car is a little rough at idle.

I'm happy with it, but I expect some big bill to come my way if the noise is something serious.

Man of Honour
OP
2000. So a pre-facelift, with the less road tax. Not much optional extras, I'm not fussed about those. It's the drive which matters.

Yes they are, mine pulls very hard in VTEC. I have a question though I'm concerned about a noise mine makes as I lift off the accelerator. It's like a brrrrr kind of noise, closest I can explain it. Sounds like it's coming from the front of the car and does it in every gear past 3k rpm. I asked the owner and he said it's the LSD since it's cold.

It's had the gearbox syncros done back in 2010 by VTEC Direct, so I'm quite worried that the box may go out again.

How much did you pay and what mileage etc? Noise sounds weird, mine makes none off throttle at all. Get the gearbox oil changed first and see if it changes. Could also be an engine mount.

Soldato
How much did you pay and what mileage etc? Noise sounds weird, mine makes none off throttle at all. Get the gearbox oil changed first and see if it changes. Could also be an engine mount.

It was the red one for sale on accordr. I got it cheaper then advertised and it's done 108k. He had the engine mount changed. It's a very strange noise, sometimes I think it may just be the airfilter? I'm really unsure, performance wise it seems fine. No cutting, pulls strong, LSD works fine.

Can you recommend a good gearbox oil?

Soldato
Looking at the Pioneer F940BT double din now for the FN2. Missed out on one at £400 last night :o

Although the vague seller description and one **** photo put me off.
Never been installed Just opened to look at and not required Picture taken before resealed

I emailed him asking if he had the invoice from point of purchase, but it was sold when I woke up.

Soldato
Just wondering what intakes the fn2 owners on here have? There seems little consensus on what is best for power. Hks or cpl sounds the best apparently...?

HKS or CPL sound the best. But they oversupply to MAF with air IIRC.

So you end up with less performance. Unless you get it mapped that is.

I'm constantly tempted to get the HKS RSK, just for the noise :D

Soldato
I have CPL, my car is MAP tuned. The HKS did sound better but it sucked quite a bit performance wise, I think it would be fine if I had it mapped but prefer CAI for sure.

Caporegime
Good shout. I'm a fan of OEM filters.

Wouldn't surprise me if aftermarket filters are a cause of bore wear/ blue smoke on VTEC engines.

Soldato
The lack of consensus on which intake is best says a lot to me....and they all seem extremely expensive for what they are too! The hks is essentially a length of pipe and a mushroom filter.... £350, sheesh.

I thinking I'd initially rather put the money towards a k flash (for more mid range and lower vtec engagement), lsd or bilstein suspension if I'm honest.

Soldato
That is a much better place to spend your money Will ;)

I want an LSD... I keep browsing ebay trying to find a Salvage FN2 with the LSD already fitted to the gearbox (they were fitted to all Champ Whites, and all FN2s from May 2010 onwards IIRC)

Soldato
As said, unless you want the noise and or bling then there is not much point. Unless you are of course going down the expensive route of figure chasing N/A stylee. Prepare to spend a lot if that's the case.

Soldato
Thanks for your thoughts guys :)

I spent an absolute shed load of money on tuning my Fiesta ST...and I'm not entirely sure it was worth it in the long run - as fun as the car was, the money spent on the mods could have got something a lot faster to start with. Think I spent nearly £3k for an extra 50bhp? Impressive gains for bolt on parts and it made a lovely noise and drove well...but so expensive.

This time I'm going weigh things up a bit more carefully, some modifcations are easier to justify than others, brakes are consumables so by my man maths it makes sense to improve on the standard setep if they might need doing soonish! But going all out on engine mods...not sure. A bit of extra noise would not go amiss but the costs seem steep when the power gains are so small. I did know this when deciding to buy the car though....just thinking out loud really :)

Soldato
Well, woe is me. Another day, another problem. I seem to have a slight oil leak , now it's not coming from the sump. It's not coming from the oil filter (I hope), as there was a small gathering of oil, I wiped it away and it hasn't come back. Underneath the oil filter is some sort of nut with a wire going into it. I do not know what this is for, it has a rubber cover on it.

To see if the leak came back, I put some A4 pieces down and went about removing stickers off the car. I checked the oil level once car was cool and it seems to be below the last O so definitely low.

Looked underneath car to find a small drop of oil on the A4 piece of paper. Went to investigate and it is seems to collect under the rubber cover, I removed the rubber cover and there was oil all over the nut.

I have two pictures:

img3577aj.jpg

img3578de.jpg

The car does run sweet. I am concerned by this leak as I hope I haven't bought a lemon.

Soldato
First cold morning today, cluster bulb gone, handbrake light staying on and the glovebox light flicks on and off. mash the pedal and they start working

GzKSj.jpg

haha. my wipers only worked on slow on friday, bit of vtec on my way to work and all is well:cool:

also changed both vtec solenoid gaskets, cam seal and rocker gasket, and painted my rocker cover and spark plug cover, looks good now!

my spark plug wells were full of oil so i changed all 4 spark plug grommets too:o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom