Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
The engine mods I want to do are largely for sound than power gains, the K20 sounds good but has a slight hint of sewing machine in how it sounds as standard, if I compare to my Fiesta ST (admittedly that was very far from standard and sounded utterly fantastic when giving it some).

Upgraded brakes...check - already got everything, just need to fit.

Diff....waiting on delivery - getting a fully refurbed/checked MFactory LSD for £350.

Suspension...not sure where to go here, fancy ABP Bilsteins and a 10-15mmm drop and FRSU eventually, but the cost is an issue.

Learn to drive....would help :p

Good stuff, sounds like a good few areas being looked at and not just going 'tegiwa breathing and kpro yeeeaaaahhhhhhh budddyy'.

On the subject of induction I really need to get rid of my injen for a Mugen rep. On the discussion of all this leather and s&m you all see to be quite fond of, the EPRacing rep is half the price of the Tegiwa....... Says it all to me even if he quality isn't quite as good, it does the same job and will give high on identical gains.

Soldato
Worth every penny.

And then hundreds more for someone with the time and know how to set it up on the dyno before completing further mapping out on the road if possible.

We've had this discussion, but induction, exhaust, ECU and setup on these cars whilst giving you some improvements, doesn't really give you much over standard other than some slight gains and a wallet a couple of grand lighter.

Brakes, geo/suspension upgrades and learning how to drive properly are what you need to focus on with these. You want POWWWWAAAAAA then go play with an evo or skyline, don't waste your monies on a VTEC engine.

Caporegime
Good stuff, sounds like a good few areas being looked at and not just going 'tegiwa breathing and kpro yeeeaaaahhhhhhh budddyy'.

On the subject of induction I really need to get rid of my injen for a Mugen rep. On the discussion of all this leather and s&m you all see to be quite fond of, the EPRacing rep is half the price of the Tegiwa....... Says it all to me even if he quality isn't quite as good, it does the same job and will give high on identical gains.

you have a PM on itr-dc2

Permabanned
I've previously had bad experiences lowering cars, especially on UK roads the EP3 I think is low enough already.

As for the Kpro, the other week I paced another Type R with a loud exhaust and very surprisingly reeled him in quite rapidly.

Kpro/k100 have also come down in price

K100 = £325
KPRO - £575

It transforms the car and doesn't leave any doubt, unlike an exhaust or induction kit whether you question if you can actually feel a difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't you need that inlet manifold and proper mapping for the best gains with Kpro

A decent inlet and exhaust manifold seem to be able to extract a surprising amount of power from the K20 (with a properly mapped KPro), but there are some good mid range gains to be had with an other wise standard engine just mapped properly.

I have a KPro ready to put into mine, but the only reason I want it is to eliminate the frustrating dip in torque as you approach the VTEC activation point. I'm considering fitting the RBC inlet manifold as well, but I'm not so keen about having to cut up the slam panel to squeeze it in.

Permabanned
Been quoted £600 to replace my timing chain. Anyone had this done?, will also double check what Honda will charge to do it, but expect many more £££

Last edited:
Caporegime
A decent inlet and exhaust manifold seem to be able to extract a surprising amount of power from the K20 (with a properly mapped KPro), but there are some good mid range gains to be had with an other wise standard engine just mapped properly.

I have a KPro ready to put into mine, but the only reason I want it is to eliminate the frustrating dip in torque as you approach the VTEC activation point. I'm considering fitting the RBC inlet manifold as well, but I'm not so keen about having to cut up the slam panel to squeeze it in.

You can bend the slam panel out the way apparently. Mate has one on his, 235hp

Permabanned
Insurance companies are so shifty but it's a make money world, so expected.

My policy renewed was at £740

54 plate EP3
28 with 3yr no claims
3 penalty points now from last year :(
Driven the car since March 2010

Bit of comparing and another company quoted me £630. I rang back my original insurer and said match it, they give you the line of "let me see what I can do", "ooh some loyalty bonus here". They match to £628.

Here's the fun bit I wish I would have tested them more now. I said, do it at £600 and I'll stay, and the final quote was £598. Make sure your dealing with other real quotes because a lot of them are linked together and have a way of checking.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Been quoted £600 to replace my timing chain. Anyone had this done?, will also double check what Honda will charge to do it, but expect many more £££

It's about the right price from an independent I guess. Honda prices would be closer to the £1k mark.

Why is yours damaged?

Permabanned
It's about the right price from an independent I guess. Honda prices would be closer to the £1k mark.

Why is yours damaged?

No idea, still drives good, although I'm cycling everywhere now until it's fixed. Even though I do push it, my gear changes are nice and I never take it to the limiter, I change just before. Will be nice though to have the receipt that the chain was replaced at 68K. It had a woman owner previously :)

Back
Top Bottom