Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
Is it bad? :( What's part avilability like for the CRX?

not great for bodywork. had to order a fibreglass wing from these guys http://www.fiberworxonline.com/ as honda don't make them anymore.

engine is fine, they used the b16a right up to 2001, plus most b18 bits fit.

just needs a wing and a bit of a tidying up on the bumper and door, might be cheaper to get a new door from a scrapyard, not sure yet.

Last edited:
Soldato
FN2 folks, help me, paging Andrew Moore....how does one remove the scuttle panel trim? :)

Want to try and fit my mugen airbox tomorrow, I've had most of the necessary bits apart, taken the battery off the car, throttle/intake hose off, ecu cover off, but the light has stopped me for the evening...thus far it seems it simply doesnt fit in at the required angle to clip it onto those annoying rubber mounts, without taking the scuttle off...

Associate
Well, just got back from a test drive of a 2007 Type-R GT.

Here are my personal opinions, no offence intended to any owners. Recent car history is 2004 Type-R EP3, MK5 R32, 2005 STI PPP.

• Seats were comfortable and supportive
  • Handling - precise steering and hard suspension

Dislikes
  • Digital speedo - just did not like its location or refresh time
  • Handling - Front wheel spin on hard turn in (tyres perhaps or have I become accustomed to 4WD?)
  • Performance - Oh my. Much less enjoyable than the EP3, no noticeable VTEC changeover, no exhilaration at all. Lack of torque was even more apparent than in the EP3.
  • Worse of all - third gear. I read that the 2007 models have a notchy 3rd, how on earth Honda can get away with this is beyond me. Awful.

Disappointed but enlightened. It's reminded me just how good the MK5 R32 was - so that's my new direction again :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Everyone has different opinions on them

In regards to yours, once you're in the seats they are comfortable and supportive but the bolsters are a bit daft, getting in and out of them in a tight space does my head in

No idea what you mean about the speedo mine seems fine and the location didnt take any getting used to, the rev counter did though but its fine now I've gotten used to it, as for the handling mine seems great and it has crap tyres even if they are quite new but the jiggly suspension does get on my nerves sometimes, perfomance is what it is from a 2.0 NA engine and I honestly cant see how its any different to an EP3 I've driven both and there is barely any difference at all the EP3 has a very slightly more noticable kick but the FN2 has better mid range and torque and these engines shouldnt even be in the same sentance there is none of it woth mentioning.
Mines an 07 and 3rd gear is super smooth, sounds like a dodgy example? Personally if mine had a notch in 3rd gear I would want it sorting, I've heard there can be a problem with it so why did the previous owner not have it sorted?

I dont think an FN2 is for you as you've rightly said, I dont think its for me either TBH, bought mine in November and I'm considering selling it already

Last edited:
Soldato
My ATR seems ill. The noise from the engine is more tappity, although it doesn't seem to be affecting performance. I may change oil to see if it quietens it down.

I also had a bit of a scrap with a VXR Nurburgring Edition, think it was number 333 as the reg points to that. I have to say, I was absolutely demolished by it.

It does shift which gave me a surprise as I didn't know they were 260bhp, although I was running 95ron petrol (or whatever Shell fuelsave is). No wonder Honda recommend 98ron or above. It sounded quite amazing too. :o It may have been remapped, who knows.

I'm really enjoying Honda ownership, I'm glad I chose this car. VTEC again is addictive and you can end up pushing silly figures with ease. That is something I'm not pleased about as it does tempt me.

Soldato
The fn2 digital speedo is okay, I dont mind it at all, its better than in the newer civics like my courtesy car - I'm a tallish chap but like to have the steering wheel quite close. With the wheel adjusted how I liked it in the newer car, it was totally obscured by the rim of the steering wheel! Hopeless.

As for the fn2 being torque less, I came from a 2.0 duratec fiesta with 200bhp, the k20z4 felt fine compared to that, if anything it feels like it has more torque! If you compare the k20 to anything with 6 cylinders or a turbo then yes....torqueless. But compared to any other 2.0 n/a engine its fine!

Got the box part of my mugen intake fitted now, much swearing and confusion later until I bit the bullet and dismantled the scuttle panel to free up some space....gonna leave the ducting/fog light scoop part to a garage (bumper off job, with eleventy million fragile plastic clips to break :(). Car is booked in for Eightspeed for 2nd March to do this, fit my Mfactory diff, and hopefully fit all the brake bits that I have.

Excuse the pics, sunlight was coming in from a low angle...

AoYAb46.jpg.png

eVH5ufp.jpg.png

Also got given some Mugen reservoir socks by a mate who is selling his EP3, I figured why not make use....are these considered pointless JDM tat though? :p

JwBdOSO.jpg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I gotta say....they seem utterly pointless, what are they actually for? Only the Japanese seem to go in for them, very much a JDM thing...

If they are to stop leaking fluids making a mess, which seems to be the idea from the packaging....why not actually stop the fluid leaking? :confused:

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
after taking mrs rjk to japfest, she noticed all of the hondas with them on. we got back home and she presented me with a pair of red smirnoff ice sweat bands.

finding this hilarious, i have them on my reservoirs. its a bit of a joke really but with them being red them match the cam cover and my hoses :p

Back
Top Bottom