Type R and VTEC owners

Permabanned
Just replaced the Timing Chain, Guides and Tensioner. Everything seemed perfect and was running smooth as ever.

As soon as I venture to around 5500rpm, I hear quite a loud rattle clattering noise. Anyone have any ideas? I suppose it's the risk you take for doing it yourself.

Last edited:
Don
Yeah I used to own a Milano 2004 facelift, I loved my GruppeM intake, glorious on VTEC :)

Quite looking forward to going back to something light and chuckable.

I adore the DC5s but have never been in one or even seen one in the flesh. I would actually consider upping my budget to get a good DC5 but given they all appear to be 200+ miles away its a long journey to view, let alone buy :(

Did you prefer your Tegs over the Civics?

Where do you live? :)

Caporegime
Just replaced the Timing Chain, Guides and Tensioner. Everything seemed perfect and was running smooth as ever.

As soon as I venture to around 5500rpm, I hear quite a loud rattle clattering noise. Anyone have any ideas? I suppose it's the risk you take for doing it yourself.

A loose timing chain?

Did you pull the TCT pin out when it was fully installed too ?

Permabanned
Muffin' Them 96 spec do love oil nowadays. When my vtec kicks in i know it and chap behind me knows it. But i dont think its worth doing on car that drives 2k miles a year :p
So hows your oil appetite after engine job ??

Don
Hartlepool mate. Most of the DC5s are down in Torquay/Devon/Dover - presumably due to where they are imported most? I often see Torque GT advertising whom seem to be the main players.

It's genuinely a long drive drive down just for a look.

When I was looking to buy, I popped on to the owners forum and asked for a local to meet me and introduce me to the car. Once i was certain I was ready to buy one, then I travelled the length of the country to buy one!

Soldato
FN2 owners...please tell me how you have attempted to remedy the mouldy/algae infested rear light problem!?

My car will need this sorting soon, annoys me every time I look at it now! :(

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
FN2 owners...please tell me how you have attempted to remedy the mouldy/algae infested rear light problem!?

My car will need this sorting soon, annoys me every time I look at it now! :(

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-020-MH&groupid=962&catid=1531&subcat=2416

i had a similar issue on one of the lights on my fiesta ST and used watercooling biocide. i used PT NUKE but the mayhems stuff is basically the same/maybe a little more aggressive

had to open the light to get to it but t never came back :D

Soldato
Im thinking I'll strip it down one day, take all the lights off the car, then use bleach or something along those lines. Is it not possible to seal up the channels the water gets into to prevent it happening again...?

Permabanned
A loose timing chain?

Did you pull the TCT pin out when it was fully installed too ?

A couple more test drives and the noise has completely gone. May be it was the oil needing time to get around the new chain?

The car is sounding very nice now and as smooth as it's ever been. No more error codes ( so far ).

For those interested, I'll be posting a video of the whole process

Sample of it here, I'll probably be changing the music :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm at Eightspeed today, getting my diff and brake stuff fitted, looking forward to the drive home :D

Had a lift into Darwen in a dc5 with a spoon n1, this car being stevies (the main guy at eightspeed), dear god its loud at idle on cold start, I couldn't be doing with that!

Soldato
I did a good job on mine I think, I posted the pics on Civinfo. Used a syringe and bleach :) What's your username on there and I'll PM you. Pics below but I forgot to do a before, they were bright green though.
ehapyva2.jpg

esaqageb.jpg

e6a7y7yq.jpg

tu6asuvy.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
How much were you thinking about selling your ATR for when the time comes?

Not sure, it was listed for £2500 and I had plenty of interest.

I would love to keep it as it's been such a great car but with an Evo 9 on the drive (hopefully) I can't justify it.

Last edited:
Don
I no longer use the Teg as I can cycle to work but with a family there is the odd occasion where I need a second car so I'm considering my options with a pending house move. Being a 5-door would certainly improve its chances of being used more regularly too.

Back
Top Bottom