Type R and VTEC owners

Man of Honour
OP
That's a shame, I've been lucky over the years and not had to deal with that.

The car looks good, only problem is that it's a niche market, but GLWTS.

OcUK Staff
its fiddly but ive never had an issue with it.
usually reads fine, so may be an fn2 thing. i dont think there is any difference in the two though.

mine used to eat through a lot of oil but its been brilliant since the last change. hardly any drop in level at all
my mechanic said that a change to a decent oil filter was probably what made that happen.

not sure if thats true or not but the better consumption coincides with the last change i did

More likely the track day!
911 uses little to no oil since I started tracking it, a
Porsche tech explained to me a lot of high rpm work such as a track day helps remove any deposits so everything seals better, meaning less oil burnt.

OcUK Staff
why is that? i dont think i asked :(

Trying to repeat what I was told so might it wrong, but engines get deposits on the piston rings/seals with age and regular driving, allowing for more oil to be burnt.

On a track day the engine spends a lot more time at high rpms and gets a lot hotter, as such these deposits get burnt away and thus allows the piston rings to seal much better and is a reason why oil consumption drops as less is getting burnt.

Soldato
That teg looks in great condition, lovely car, part of me wishes I had one, I like my fn2 but theyre common as muck, the dc5 is somehow more special and I still think they look fantastic!

Caporegime
Trying to repeat what I was told so might it wrong, but engines get deposits on the piston rings/seals with age and regular driving, allowing for more oil to be burnt.

On a track day the engine spends a lot more time at high rpms and gets a lot hotter, as such these deposits get burnt away and thus allows the piston rings to seal much better and is a reason why oil consumption drops as less is getting burnt.

Deposits usually form at high temperatures so it's probably the opposite. Depends how good the oil is of course.

OcUK Staff
Deposits usually form at high temperatures so it's probably the opposite. Depends how good the oil is of course.

Not changed oil type in the 911 but noticed after doing track day the oil consumption seemed to reduce and when I mentioned it to a techy, they told me the above.

Caporegime
Well they are wrong. What probably happened is you filled the oil with fuel by driving hard, making it look like you used less oil.

Those M96 engines have a habit of doing that.

Soldato
Don't suppose anyone has a set of old ATR/Prelude Motegi rims (17", 5x114.3) gathering dust? Save me rolling the dice on ebay.

Like these -

147796273.jpg

Man of Honour
OP
Mate they are like rocking horse **** to find in half decent condition.

On a side note I think my ATR will be going on Sunday. Let's hope they're not a time waster.

Soldato
Good luck with the sale Chris!

My front tyres need changing now, anyone recommend some good type? I'm looking at Bridgestone Potenza RE50?

I want good grip, and those which haven't got a lot of road noise if that's possible?

Soldato
Mate they are like rocking horse **** to find in half decent condition.

On a side note I think my ATR will be going on Sunday. Let's hope they're not a time waster.

Yeah there's always a set or two on ebay but inevitably looking rough. Would be happy to get some refurbed (or have a go myself) if I found some that were sound underneath. Two of the Oz rims that came with my Prelude are badly repaired and I think the Motegi rims suit the car perfectly.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Good luck with the sale Chris!

My front tyres need changing now, anyone recommend some good type? I'm looking at Bridgestone Potenza RE50?

I want good grip, and those which haven't got a lot of road noise if that's possible?

Go for the RE050A mate.

Yeah there's always a set or two on ebay but inevitably looking rough. Would be happy to get some refurbed (or have a go myself) if I found some that were sound underneath. Two of the Oz rims that came with my Prelude are badly repaired and I think the Motegi rims suit the car perfectly.

My issue with knackered wheels is that they cost £200 + to repair. Mint sets come up now and again for £200-£300 so why bother? There are some dreamers around that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom