Type R and VTEC owners

Would this be suitable for the K20 too?

Yeah. Honda UK recommend 5W-40 products with ACEA C3 in both the S2000 and K20 engine cars
This oil meets this spec plus many more including some of the most technically challenging specifications like VW 502 / 505 01.

I looked up the rating on this Fuchs Oil

A3/B3 Category for high-performance and Fuel Economy engine
oils. Exceeds ACEA A1/B1 with regard to Noack (evaporation
losses), and sludge prevention. Not for DI-Diesel. Extended oil
change intervals possible. High content of Sulfated Ash

Then googled round to look at High Ash oils, and found this..

3. What is bore polishing?
When oil burns in the combustion chamber, it creates ash that is very abrasive. This can be particularly bad where high ash products are used in engines used in high temperature, stressed conditions. The ash effectively polishes away the honing marks and leaves nothing to retain the oil in the bore. Once again, as with bore glazing, the symptoms are high oil consumption, smoke and reduced compression.

So if my car starts supping at this oil (it uses very little oil, under a litre in 6000 miles) does this mean I'll end up with Polished Bores? leading to reduced power..

Good find, but a little scaremongering. Parts of the world need high ash oils as metals like calcium are good for poor fuel (high sulphur). It's worth remembering that Hondas burn oil. Lower ash (C3) oils are recommended by Honda in Europe for good reason. Also the type of polymer(rubber that's used for multigrade properties) affects the deposit build up on the piston.

One of the industry standard piston cleanliness tests differentiates A3/B3 oils fr A3/B4 and C3 oils ( the latter two having higher requirements)

Unfortunately in the internet world you must have esters as that's all that matter when choosing an oil.

Last edited:
Re Oils.

I've owned my Integra DC2 for 6 years, picked it up on 28k, it's now on 64k.

In 6 years it's used only 5w30 Vauxhall Fully synthetic oil. This oil is a re-branded Fuchs Titan oil and is apparently low ash.

No issues whatsoever with engine, used the car on tack also.

Re Oils.

I've owned my Integra DC2 for 6 years, picked it up on 28k, it's now on 64k.

In 6 years it's used only 5w30 Vauxhall Fully synthetic oil. This oil is a re-branded Fuchs Titan oil and is apparently low ash.

No issues whatsoever with engine, used the car on tack also.

What sort of copper content were you seeing in the last oil analysis?

Last edited:
Well the engine runs fine and other than track does not burn oil, that's about as much as anyone with the ester oils can say also.

Apparently the oil is this.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2461229

TITAN GT1 Longlife is apparently the old Vauxhall 5w30.
TITAN GT1 PRO C-3 5W-30 is apparently the new Vauxhall 5w30.

Do you understand what that link is even telling you?

The data in that link looks like an ACEA C1 oil (ie very low SAPs (0.5% ash) and designed for DPF and catalyst protection, the Phos and Zinc are far to low for a C3 product. And ultimately I would question both the wear protection and application of that type of oil in a DC2.

I think you are making a massive assumption by thinking the vauxhall oil is the same as the random oil that has been tested. The vauxhall oil will be on a different additive and will be High Saps (1.1% Ash) A3/B4 as it carried the GM LL-025A specification. Ie nothing like what you have linked.

The latest stuff may be Dexos 2 but as this has a minimum TBN of 8, not the 6.2 you have found on a US forum (where oils are very different) then I doubt it is that one

Last edited:
so the turbo diesel branding on that is just marketing and the oil is ok for petrol cars?

probably wont have the EP3 long enough for another oil change but will stick to that if its the better oil.

Yeah, exactly. This product targets diesel owners as it has many 'DPF compatible' specifications, hence the name. However its suitable for both deisel and petrol engines. The BMW LL04 approval tests are all gasoline anyway, despite it being a 'diesel spec'.

Anyone else ever feel the more the read about oil the less they know?

yeah, its all a bit confusing. certainly an area I had overlooked. literally just put in whatever Opie suggested.

Yeah, exactly. This product targets diesel owners as it has many 'DPF compatible' specifications, hence the name. However its suitable for both deisel and petrol engines. The BMW LL04 approval tests are all gasoline anyway, despite it being a 'diesel spec'.

thats good to know, will keep it in mind for my next car for sure.

I am assuming it is fine for track use?

The formulation used for that product has Porsche A40 approval (so has ran in Porsches approval test, which as you can imagine, is pretty severe), it also meets one of the most demanding specifications VW 505 01 which is for VW PD engines. Using oils without this spec can literally cause the cams to wear away due to the massive pressures due to the cam driven unit injectors. It's good stuff.

I use it in my S2000 on the track.

Do you understand what that link is even telling you?

The data in that link looks like an ACEA C1 oil (ie very low SAPs (0.5% ash) and designed for DPF and catalyst protection, the Phos and Zinc are far to low for a C3 product. And ultimately I would question both the wear protection and application of that type of oil in a DC2.

I think you are making a massive assumption by thinking the vauxhall oil is the same as the random oil that has been tested. The vauxhall oil will be on a different additive and will be High Saps (1.1% Ash) A3/B4 as it carried the GM LL-025A specification. Ie nothing like what you have linked.

The latest stuff may be Dexos 2 but as this has a minimum TBN of 8, not the 6.2 you have found on a US forum (where oils are very different) then I doubt it is that one

I don't claim to understand it. Will say the oil address on those pages is Hanley Stoke on Trent UK, I know this is where Vauxhall oil is shipped from.

I must be honest, years ago I asked Oilman is Vauxhall 5w30 was ok on an Integra, his response it's an odd oil to use but will be fine providing you get it at a good price and change at normal times. He did add the 5w30 may burn off a little, well it does but only on track.

Will say the sides of the bottle have all the correct numbers / letters, and US Integra's run on 5w30 weight.

Maybe I should have just fitted Shell 5/40 in the Integra, but world would be a boring place if everyone was the same.

Last edited:
I just discovered the 'Discussion' you had with HUB over on the Civ Info forums Simon, that guy is certainly, erm.. Special :D

I actually lost the will to live a little with that one. I'm not really sure what he was trying to say either? Did you ?

Well all I know about oil tonight is that 0W20 leaks through milk bottles where they have the slightest crease. The leaking bottle made me swear and I transferred it to a different bottle only for that the leak aswell!!!! Rage! I was only emptying my drain bowl ready to drop my MINI gearbox oil.

Bloody cars. Lovely spots on my garage floor now.

Back
Top Bottom