Type R and VTEC owners

any of you EP3 owners get a burning rubbery smell when you get out of the car (somewhere between front right and rear right) - if driven reasonably hard ?

it seems to only do it when I drive the car (wifes) - yet she rides the clutch and doesn't get the smell so guessing something other than the clutch, she doesn't take it above about 3.5k though

mines the Type-S (2.0) - but reading EP3 forums seems a very common complaint on EP3s- wondering if anyone worked out what it is ?

rims all feel cool - other forums suggest could be something relating to the OEM back box getting hot ?

my MB6 had a new hub on rear today - give me 2 more months to find a replacement (I'm not putting it through the next MOT) - have gone from annoying over radio loudness of rumble to near silence :) the hub had done 178k so can't complain :)

Carriers sliders ok in calliper piston is seizing. Time to ebay some callipers and rebuild them. As this will eat my left disc yet again heh.

Thank god it was passenger side bulb just had to remove washer bottle hid transformer and power steering container to get it changed.

Carriers sliders ok in calliper piston is seizing. Time to ebay some callipers and rebuild them. As this will eat my left disc yet again heh.

Thank god it was passenger side bulb just had to remove washer bottle hid transformer and power steering container to get it changed.

I got my refurbed calipers from brakes international.

Sent my old ones in for a rebate to bring the price back down to normal levels. Much less hassle than stripping, cleaning, blasting, painting and rebuilding them myself and the refurbed ones from them were excellent.

Still needed the bits to rebuild the carriers though!

what do you mean rebuild the carriers? the little boots between them and the caliper?

I was the same with brakes international , saves so much hassle - helps when they send you two lefts and you then have to bleed and upside down caliper :(

what do you mean rebuild the carriers? the little boots between them and the caliper?

I was the same with brakes international , saves so much hassle - helps when they send you two lefts and you then have to bleed and upside down caliper :(

Mostly yes, but get the pins out, take off any corrosion, clean the tubing for the pins, clean whole carrier, repaint, reinstall after greasing etc. Even that took a while, screw doing the whole calipers.

2 lefts oops!!!! At least it's 'unique innit' :p

To refurb then yourself properly will cost more in money and time than getting one from brakes int

Agreed, you don't save a lot doing them yourself and with the added time required it's just not worth the effort.

bledd 75 pounds and i will have both rebuild. And can still sell old ones off for 20 pounds or something.
Would need company to do me 40 pounds each and i know piston is ****ed in seizing caliper. Took it apart last year cleaned ect but lasted only 9 months few months.

Besides that where is fun in quick swap of callipers. Rebuilding em is the fun part that outer boot is da BEST PART. time is free. Remember i got nothing better to do than do it myself if i wont refurb em myself i will spend that time on Gaming on ps4 or PC.
Thats best part about being single with no commitments or things to worry about whatsoever.

Admit it You guys dont like to get dirty :D I love DIY everything.

BTW for carrier pins or hows it called dont use copper grease it stuck seizes over time. Tested :D

Last edited:
I don't mind getting my hands dirty :p

For the slider pins you should use silicone paste. Doesn't eat the rubber boots and won't leak out all over your discs. Keeps them nice and healthy.

I use a dab of copper grease on the brake disc screws and the caliper bolt threads only.

Muffin' I know i just like to dhings myself. Moulder said once Trust no one :D
ATM very tempted to get myself some nice thing from Htune but need to dyno it first and see if i can be bothered :D

I don't mind getting my hands dirty :p

For the slider pins you should use silicone paste. Doesn't eat the rubber boots and won't leak out all over your discs. Keeps them nice and healthy.

I use a dab of copper grease on the brake disc screws and the caliper bolt threads only.

I used red rubber grease on my pins just to try them, and they work very well, 1 year on and its holding up. Silicone grease is the proper stuff to put on though, but red rubber grease is a good alternative.

Second tank just over 48 mpg, measured using an app from fill to fill. OBC said 45.5 I think. It was pretty much just work and back, so a straight 80 miles a day. I've put BP Ultimate diesel in it now to see if it makes any difference at all.

48.5 with Ultimate. I've just filled it up with Morrison's. It's great being able to do over 600 miles on a single tank. Haven't driven the S2000 in over a week.

[TW]Fox;27070873 said:
Seems pretty poor for a 4 cylinder diesel. Is it quite a congested commute?

Yes, 30/40/50 mph changing all the time, junctions, tractors, slow drivers, overtakes and don't forget my lead foot.

The Focus (100ps) was getting the same, but had a smaller tank so I was filling it up once every 5 working days. The Accord which has 150ps has a larger tank and I get around 7-8 working days between fill ups. More comfortable, more toys, more power and a much better engine, and I feel like it's more economical due to the increased time between fill ups. :)

In all fairness, I put 20k miles of the above driving on the Focus and apart from a few minor things, it lapped it all up.

bledd 75 pounds and i will have both rebuild. And can still sell old ones off for 20 pounds or something.
Would need company to do me 40 pounds each and i know piston is ****ed in seizing caliper. Took it apart last year cleaned ect but lasted only 9 months few months.

Besides that where is fun in quick swap of callipers. Rebuilding em is the fun part that outer boot is da BEST PART. time is free. Remember i got nothing better to do than do it myself if i wont refurb em myself i will spend that time on Gaming on ps4 or PC.
Thats best part about being single with no commitments or things to worry about whatsoever.

Admit it You guys dont like to get dirty :D I love DIY everything.

BTW for carrier pins or hows it called dont use copper grease it stuck seizes over time. Tested :D

I hate getting dirty, never done anything to my Teg.

Time is never free. Time us valuable and your time is worth effort and money.

Instead of spending time messing around with a caliper or 4, go out and do the single thing, a nice warm woman is a lot more fun.

Back
Top Bottom