Type R and VTEC owners

The gearbox in the 1.6 suffers from the bearings going bad, and making a "purr" sound under acceleration in 1st and second, before they get really bad and start making a knocking noise which goes away when you put the clutch in, well known problem and honda extended the warrenty on the gearbox to 5 years, it cost me £600+ for a refurbish box fitted in my 1.6 ep2.

Both engines are pretty much bulletproof, there's not a lot to look out for apart form the usual checks you would when buying any car. I would go for the 1.6 if insurance is reasonable simply because it has a bit more get go and will be better on the motorway.
Is there any difference between SE and Sport version? The only differences I can see are cosmetics and my insurance bumping up from 1400 to 1668 :eek: EP1 costs 1243 (One of the cheapest 1.4's to insure yet, lol)
Not sure on the 1.4 but I'm fairly sure the 1.6 is belt driven, so you need to check that's been changed at the appropriate time
^ Both are belt driven, 72k intervals I think, although always best to get them changed earlier.
Earlier? 65-70k?
The gearbox in the 1.6 suffers from the bearings going bad, and making a "purr" sound under acceleration in 1st and second, before they get really bad and start making a knocking noise which goes away when you put the clutch in, well known problem and honda extended the warrenty on the gearbox to 5 years, it cost me £600+ for a refurbish box fitted in my 1.6 ep2.
Thanks for letting me now, any other common issues?

I've been looking at some Civic's and for most when I call, they're already sold :mad:
I've found this red beauty :D http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501190273668 But I don't like the price tag, or is this pretty normal for 'well-looked after' example?

Last edited:
Is there any difference between SE and Sport version? The only differences I can see are cosmetics and my insurance bumping up from 1400 to 1668 :eek: EP1 costs 1243 (One of the cheapest 1.4's to insure yet, lol)

Thanks for letting me now, any other common issues?

I've been looking at some Civic's and for most when I call, they're already sold :mad:
I've found this red beauty :D http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201501190273668 But I don't like the price tag, or is this pretty normal for 'well-looked after' example?

the sport is the nicer car, the SE look horrible and dated imo, if your going to get one get atleast the 1.6 sport, or look at a different car, when it rains the alarm system can go off, this is caused by the aerial becoming loose and letting water in as the alarm sensor is directly under the aerial, to fix it requires taking all the head lining out of the car and tightening the nut under the liner which seals the leak, other then the gearbox and aerial i had no other problems with my car in 5 years of ownership, but my car was immaculate and very very well looked after

the sport is the nicer car, the SE look horrible and dated imo, if your going to get one get atleast the 1.6 sport, or look at a different car, when it rains the alarm system can go off, this is caused by the aerial becoming loose and letting water in as the alarm sensor is directly under the aerial, to fix it requires taking all the head lining out of the car and tightening the nut under the liner which seals the leak, other then the gearbox and aerial i had no other problems with my car in 5 years of ownership, but my car was immaculate and very very well looked after

A picture of your ep2? :)

P.s. What would be the costs of a turbo or supercharger?

A picture of your ep2? :)

P.s. What would be the costs of a turbo or supercharger?

You can turbo these, but the cost is around £4k+ and you have to get a few things custom fabricated, you can get good power i believe 300 BHP, but at the cost your better off just getting the 2.0 EP3. I no longer have my EP2, i traded it in for my red S2000, which i have regretted ever since wish i had kept it, as the month prior to getting rid of it i had only just had the new gearbox and clutch fitted :( the garage sold the car with in 5 days for a tidy profit at £3k when i traded it for £2k,

Not the best photo's as im at work, and these are just pulled from my facebook

S2KI Guide to Car Modification:

Find pristine, standard example S2000.
Ensure it has been cared for all its life with full service history and no signs of abuse.

Then:
- Buy Meister R Coilovers
- Buy Invidia or Skunk 2 Cat Back System
- Buy Rotas or Enkei RPF1s
- Buy BMW Chop Shop Chinese Lip Spoiler
- Replace legal front plate with illegally spaced S200 DXX plate
- Fit Red Honda Badges
- Fit crap tyres

S2KI Guide to Car Modification:

Find pristine, standard example S2000.
Ensure it has been cared for all its life with full service history and no signs of abuse.

Then:
- Buy Meister R Coilovers
- Buy Invidia or Skunk 2 Cat Back System
- Buy Rotas or Enkei RPF1s
- Buy BMW Chop Shop Chinese Lip Spoiler
- Replace legal front plate with illegally spaced S200 DXX plate
- Fit Red Honda Badges
- Fit crap tyres

You missed out:

- Get services out of order and after only a couple thousand miles, ruining service history.

Any kind of engine modifications is going to be a complete waste of time on these cars as it will be cost prohibitive and practically no one will have bothered trying to do it.
I did a quick search, engine swap seems like a better idea after some time. For the engine it will cost around 800-900 and I know a garaged which will fit in the engine without braking the bank.
You can turbo these, but the cost is around £4k+ and you have to get a few things custom fabricated, you can get good power i believe 300 BHP, but at the cost your better off just getting the 2.0 EP3. I no longer have my EP2, i traded it in for my red S2000, which i have regretted ever since wish i had kept it, as the month prior to getting rid of it i had only just had the new gearbox and clutch fitted :( the garage sold the car with in 5 days for a tidy profit at £3k when i traded it for £2k,

Not the best photo's as im at work, and these are just pulled from my facebook
I'm not going to turbo it, not worth it from what you're saying. I thought its going to cost around 1600-1800. I will just get an engine from EP3 in a years time...
BTW Nice EP2, that's the colour I'm aiming for, but red will do as well.

Complete waste of time doing an engine swap, it's not just a matter of changing an engine, there is other things involved and bits you will need to upgrade like the brake system. Makes no sense either when you have a hot version of the same car for not much more money.

Thanks for the link.

here is the car. its the closet to me (2 miles) to get an idea of what they are like. still a few more with the same spec (sat nav etc) local to me.

http://www.muirheadcarcentre.co.uk/...0i-vtec-type-r-gt-3dr-glasgow-201501250432408

whats the price like? too high?

Price does seem a bit high by about £500. It does have GP front & rear splitter which is nice though.

Well the Ad says it has Sat Nav & telephone controls, but looking at the dash controls, I'm not sure if it does.
http://images.muirheadcarcentre.co....-9f600f35ebd159cd690af9212ddfc3b6-640x480.jpg

I think the dash controls are meant to be like this if it has sat nav?
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/Destroyer105/IMG_0080.jpg

Last edited:
No nav on that car.

Price is strong considering the first thing you'd want to do is fix those wheels and make then the right colour again.

It's pretty much literally round the corner from me, if you're unsure about it or want a comparison more than happy to take you out in mine - about to get new fron t shocks mind but you'll get the idea

Back
Top Bottom