Type R and VTEC owners

Well the new American 10th gen Civic looks interesting in its Coupe variant! Only the 1.5L VTEC Turbo Earth Dreams engine though from what I gather! They're also taking our Type R over to the states too!

Found an Accord Type R in the sort of condition that I'd like to own.

Reading up, it seems rust is a major problem in these cars, is this as common as I'm reading about? The bulkhead to inner wing rot seems a problem, but can't really be checked without removing arch liners etc which I don't think a seller is going to be willing to do.

The rest of the 2 owner car seems mint, it has 60k miles and just recently had cambelt, waterpump, tensioners, discs & pads all round and 4 new re050a's so seems a great buy but reading up this rust seems a major hidden killer of these cars.

Ok why change to a silenced decat from whatever non standard cat replacement you have now ?

The car has a normal decat on right now, I may get a silenced one as it can be quite loud at times and the addition of a header may tip it over the edge for me.

Why would a manifold be any louder from the exhaust?

My Toda just made the engine slightly louder. Without the decat its pointless.

I guess chris has a loud exhaust but why fits manifold to then take away some of benefit by a silenced decat. A straight through decat is what these manifolds are designed to work with.

The stock exhaust is very good. Just heavy

The car has a normal decat on right now, I may get a silenced one as it can be quite loud at times and the addition of a header may tip it over the edge for me.

Every exhaust I tried annoyed me. A manifold + decat with everything also standard almost sounds like it's not a 4pot. Nice and crisp

To be honest it's only really loud when WOT, or there's an area between 2-3krpm where it can drone a little but that's only at motorway speeds and not in the rpm area where I'd be sitting,

I dropped mine off at a local MOT place with the cat in the boot, no idea if they fitted it for the test or not, don't really care. Paid £49.

Apart from having to put the CAT back in once a year any issues with running with this? The standard exhaust cause issues?

No issues really. My T1R single definately breathed better after 8500rpm as I kept hitting the limiter when I first put it on but it was loud!

I broke a baffle this track day - hence the overun noise, but it sounded nice on WOT :D

However manifold - better design for midrange in combo with decat
Decat - no emissions crap holding it bad .

The two above give a real benefit in the midrange as you can design around the removal of a cat, the S2000 one is a metallic high flow cat already but still not a striaght through pipe. A silenced decat will be somewhere in between the two. Plus you probably save 3-4kg too on those.

Last edited:
Simon - is that link working? may just be my browser...
Good to know though about the exhaust as I actually really like the look of the standard system so a mani/decat combo sounds good.

S2KIP - nice hardtop guide, looks pretty straight forward, tempted to get a track based fitting kit and just have the hardtop on 24/7 but thinks its more be being cheap than anything else....

Simon - is that link working? may just be my browser...
Good to know though about the exhaust as I actually really like the look of the standard system so a mani/decat combo sounds good.

S2KIP - nice hardtop guide, looks pretty straight forward, tempted to get a track based fitting kit and just have the hardtop on 24/7 but thinks its more be being cheap than anything else....

Fixed it now.

Why do you guys want to make your car heavier :p

I like the mugen hardtop though.

Back
Top Bottom