Type R and VTEC owners

Still looking for either an fn2 type r or a 325i coupe! No nice ones near me atm fingers crossed for the weekend!

What do you guys think of Fn2 type R's in Silver? didnt even think about it before but just found one for sale and i actually quite like it aswell as in red

You clearly thought about it before. :p

Sorry, i can't help. Never had one :)

I don't understand how anyone can be stuck between a type R and 325i - they're are completely different cars for completely different sets of priorities.

As for colour, the best one by a mile is the blue that later cars come in, they are lol expensive though. IMO you don't want to spend more than circa £7k on an FN2 now, they're too old

Silver will hide chips well, this is something you're going to want.....

Red FN2. Common as muck.

Silver is a nice colour for them but the deep bronze or blue is the best colour the FN2 came in, after champ white.

I don't understand how anyone can be stuck between a type R and 325i - they're are completely different cars for completely different sets of priorities.

As for colour, the best one by a mile is the blue that later cars come in, they are lol expensive though. IMO you don't want to spend more than circa £7k on an FN2 now, they're too old

Silver will hide chips well, this is something you're going to want.....

I know what your saying but i suppose its just the 2 cars i like the look of so weighing up the pros and cons at each for my life style but tbh the civic is the way to go for me! My work is about 20 mins away so dont need a diesel or anything and i think the type r would be more fun!

However thinking of starting a family so maybe a bigger car would be better, could always change it at the time ;)

Love that one^ nice colour for sure!

most i can find with good mileage etc are around £8-9k with around 30k miles 08-09 plate

Wouldn't bother trying to get an example with such low miles you're getting no real gain for the money.

As you start approaching £10k there are quite a few other cars I would be buying over the FN2 - the appeal for me is the fact that they are worth less than most of the competition at a similar age point.

BTW a 3 series (touring boot aside) has no more room than an FN2 - it is however hugely more refined and "nice" inside

Well I am finally back in a Honda, it is the FN2 this time so a little different from the old DC2 but I do much more motorway miles these days. Does anyone here know whether the head units that come with them (I have a prefacelift without nav) have a cd changer port as I would like to add a USB input for it.

Yes - you'll need to use something like a grom or xcarlink (I've got the latter). It's a bit of a faf getting in behind the dash and is limited in what it displays, but other than that it just works

Wouldn't bother trying to get an example with such low miles you're getting no real gain for the money.

As you start approaching £10k there are quite a few other cars I would be buying over the FN2 - the appeal for me is the fact that they are worth less than most of the competition at a similar age point.

BTW a 3 series (touring boot aside) has no more room than an FN2 - it is however hugely more refined and "nice" inside

You mention you would be looking at other cars at this price point, im open to suggestions at this point if theres a strong case for something else over the fn2?

Ta!

Assuming you like hot hatches £10k should just about get you into a mk6 gti, it'll definitely get you a mk2 mazda3 mps, the wrx-s is worth looking at too if you can stomach the interior. Thinking about it you might even be into sti cash of the same shape - just avoid the early ones. Most of these don't ride like they're on bricks and either have stronger performance or easily accessible (cheap) additional power on offer. None of them handle badly either

But I still don't understand why you wouldn't just spend a little bit less and pick up a 60ish k FN2 if that's what you particularly want - it'll still be a 5/6 year old car which will be newer than pretty much anything else of a similar vein for the money

Last edited:
Assuming you like hot hatches £10k should just about get you into a mk6 gti, it'll definitely get you a mk2 mazda3 mps, the wrx-s is worth looking at too if you can stomach the interior. Thinking about it you might even be into sti cash of the same shape - just avoid the early ones.

But I still don't understand why you wouldn't just spend a little bit less and pick up a 60ish k FN2 if that's what you particularly want - it'll still be a 5/6 year old car which will be newer than pretty much anything else of a similar vein for the money

Im not against it at all, just assumed less miles would be better and the overall condition needs to be good aswell! I dont mind spending less at all :)

My budget is 9k at an absolute stretch i think

I have looked at a few of those cars before but just dont grab me like the fn2 type r did! Have had a golf gti before, albeit a mk4, but loved it.

Last edited:
Personally then I'd look to spend £7-7.5k and try to get into a facelift car. Ideally with nav as the centre console is a little bit nicer and you get more info displayed on screen.

Keep £5-600 to get the front end painted if you buy a dark car, make sure its had the roof fixed under warranty and have a look behind the b pillar covers for signs of corrosion

Ignore the lol pricing of most cars on civinfo - my 2009 car with 83k only has a trade value of about £5k (maybe a bi t less) so private isn't going to be more than £6-6.5k at a push

Last edited:
To be honest, I wouldn't advice getting an FN2 with the built in sat nav as it limits your options if you're into your audio and stuff and the nav is pretty dated now aswell. I would rather get one without and put a decent double din headunit in. The satnav will be hugely better and the sound quality over standard head unit is hugely improved, even with stock speakers. Here's a pic of my interior with a double din, just to give you an idea: (Instagram pic hence the square format).

V5mTluR.jpg

Soul.Survivor when are you swapping that for my ST? :p

Tempted make a special journey to Manc for you to take me out in that :)

Never I think as I'm not a big fan of ST's, Sorry :p

I'm not sure if I mentioned this on here before but I do have another Kraftwerks Supercharged FN2 which is a lot more powerful than this one. Kraftwerks one is running around 427 Bhp @ Wheels where as the one above with Jackson Super charger is running 311 Bhp @ Wheels.

I'm keeping the more powerful one so will be putting this Silver FN2 back to stock and selling the car and the mods seperatly, Mileage is only 36k so I reckon I'll get a good price for it :).

If you'd like to come down, I don't mind taking you out in either of them, I've even got an EP3 here if you'd like to compare them :p

Back
Top Bottom