Type R and VTEC owners

Caporegime
Too add - get the FRS first - then look at things like bars to start stiffening the car if you want it further :)

Yes it will stiffen it up, but you may find it too stiff the roads you drive

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
FRSU is next month :)

along with JDM ARB

I was wondering if a tie bar would be worth adding to the list of work as whilst it is being done or if it is mainly cosmetic.

Soldato
Rear Tie bars

thoughts?

asked on TRO forum and getting mixed opinions.

some say they are for show, others say they make a difference.

An utter waste of time and money. It's obvious that it bolts across a very substantial and very rigid steel section; the only thing this will do is lighten your wallet and add weight to your car. If you want to do that then forget the anodised tat and and buy some tasty pizzas and pies :p

Personally I reckon there is some mileage in reducing the diameter of the front ARB rather than just making the rear one larger. The front one is already very large and this shows with the tendency to understeer that the EP3 has. It's also a relatively nervous car when pushing on hard, and a thicker rear ARB will make this worse. A smaller front ARB will also improve traction during cornering - important when there is no LSD fitted as standard.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Rear tie bars are for show only. As are braces that go under the engine. Makes me laugh people who try and justify those, I wonder if they've ever seen a sub-frame or tried to lift one.

Soldato
Rear tie bars are for show only. As are braces that go under the engine. Makes me laugh people who try and justify those, I wonder if they've ever seen a sub-frame or tried to lift one.

Yep. A lot of upper strut braces are no more than decoration as well, especially the slim alloy ones that have bends at the end.

Yup, Dixon is the main man at DMS.

Banned off ITR-DC2 after some serious issues with their work which in one case wasn't many miles away from causing a potentially serious accident as the front passenger side suspension wasn't far away from collapsing. Let's just say the re-bushing was a complete hash with arms cut and welded (after not knowing how to install bushes) and most worryingly many nuts very loose, with the nut on one ball joint not far from coming off with only a few threads above the head of the nut (no split pin put in either).

He then claimed it was the customers fault for rushing them and nothing could be loose as they use a high power gun to tighten EVERY BOLT, aka never torqued up anything correctly to specified torque, then said they weld up the arms for strength and has always doen this on his race car. Horrible blase attitude, then even accused another respected company (who the guy took the car to be made safe) of intentionally making all these things up to ruin his name.

Also messed people around and caused a number of other problems with cars. Horrible workmanship and a stinking attitude. Good riddance!

If any of you are registered or fancy an interesting read then see the link below to the major case:

http://www.itr-dc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=65964&hilit=dixon

Had a read through the thread, and yep I totally agree there's no way in hell that dude should have paid extra than a normal forum member for that outrageously dangerous and shoddy work.

That said (and I say this without knowing of the other incidents) Dixon did accept the blame and settle up for the reparations and some compensation and was totally transparent with the community once he'd been called out.

Still no excuse for the state the car left his workshop in, which is inexcusable.

Soldato
Had a read through the thread, and yep I totally agree there's no way in hell that dude should have paid extra than a normal forum member for that outrageously dangerous and shoddy work.

That said (and I say this without knowing of the other incidents) Dixon did accept the blame and settle up for the reparations and some compensation and was totally transparent with the community once he'd been called out.

Still no excuse for the state the car left his workshop in, which is inexcusable.

He wasn't accepting at all and continued to argue how there's no way nuts could have been loose, how welding up crushed arms was the norm and how the OP of that thread rushed him.

He's messed people around a number of times and in general never takes accounts for his wrong actions or apologises.

Not someone I would ever go near, or let near my car!

On a brighter note, my wheel is going off tomorrow to have a lovely refurb by Jack @ Royal Steering Wheels. I'll get pictures when it's back in a few weeks.

Last edited:
Caporegime

The S2000 front lower brace makes a difference for sure. The cheaper ones have been known to bend. They make a noticeable difference the steering feel. Honda added one as standard to the CR version...

Soldato
Cant say i share that sentiment.

Not in a general sense perhaps, but it is utterly pointless on the EP3 since you are tying together two holes that are quite close together in the same heavy gauge steel structure:

IMG_0679.jpg

Quite honestly, if there is any significant deformation of that subframe under load that can be resolved by bolting on a flimsy bit of alloy then Honda need to stop designing cars.

It wouldn't be so bad if the braces looked like they'd actually been designed to provide a significant increase in rigidity, but plenty of them (including strut braces) are clearly designed as fashion items with no regard to load paths.

Associate
Help :( suddenly after what seems like forever of trouble free motoring my ctr has started cutting out when approaching junctions or a general stop. Sometimes it hangs on and judders the recovers but mostly will just cut out . Any ideas/common faults , I was thinking idle control valve, I won't be able to get to a garage for a week and ATM car is in high demand for hospital visits. Any one experienced this ?

Man of Honour
OP
Help :( suddenly after what seems like forever of trouble free motoring my ctr has started cutting out when approaching junctions or a general stop. Sometimes it hangs on and judders the recovers but mostly will just cut out . Any ideas/common faults , I was thinking idle control valve, I won't be able to get to a garage for a week and ATM car is in high demand for hospital visits. Any one experienced this ?
Does it struggle to idle at all or is it only when coming up to a junction?

Caporegime
I think the DC2 type R has a lower brace as standard on the rear subframe. Stops the deflection between the two inner mounting points for the lower arms

Back
Top Bottom