Type R and VTEC owners

Man of Honour
No. K20 series will top out at 40 mpg if you drive at 60 mph and are really really careful, but most normal people doing 70-80 mph will see around 25 mpg. The K24 in the Accord sport will do just under this due to being a slightly larger lump (albeit with longer gear ratio's). Most K series will average around 28-30 mog, and do around 25 mpg in town driving.

I'm unsure if the Accord Sport came with an auto option, but someone in work had a tourer 2.4 petrol Accord and he struggled getting 30 out of it. Thirsty beasts.

So its really quite economical around town but very poor on the Motorway?

How come? 25mpg around town from a 2.4 litre Accord sounds excellent.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Reasonably happy with the fuel consumption on the S2000, worked out at low 30s for the last fill which involved a lot of roof off driving and also a few spirited runs as it's still new to me :)

Associate
I'm presuming you have a Accord Type-S? If so, how much is a full tank on these, and how many miles do you get from a full tank?

Sorry can't help you there I do not own a Accord, I was replying to Fox's post as he did not believe it was possible for a car to not be much more economical on the longer motorway runs.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
Reasonably happy with the fuel consumption on the S2000, worked out at low 30s for the last fill which involved a lot of roof off driving and also a few spirited runs as it's still new to me :)

wow.

that's very good indeed.

my last fills on the civic returned:

:(
I need to start driving economically

Man of Honour
Sorry can't help you there I do not own a Accord, I was replying to Fox's post as he did not believe it was possible for a car to not be much more economical on the longer motorway runs.

Just seems odd, every car I've ever driven (and looked at the economy of) has been at least 10mpg better on the Motorway than it is doing short cold trips around town.

Soldato
Does anyone else have an EP3 that makes a quiet 'woo woo woo woo woo...' noise, regardless of temperature that increases in frequency/pitch as road speed increases? Road/engine noise drown it out, and it's most noticeable from 25-35MPH.

Mine has done it for 4 years, and 2 Honda garages and my usual mechanic have been unable to diagnose, so it's nothing obvious. It's not got any worse over the years and there are no ill effects at all, so doesn't seem to be a wheel bearing something similar.

Man of Honour
OP
[TW]Fox;22031522 said:
So its really quite economical around town but very poor on the Motorway?

How come? 25mpg around town from a 2.4 litre Accord sounds excellent.

I haven't owned an Accord but I don't think the engine performance in terms of economy would be too indifferent to the K20. I've never had sub 20 mpg out of a K20 except on track, and that's with spirited driving.

My thirsty beast comment was aimed at the auto Accord, it seems to be around 5+ mpg worse off than its manual equivalent.

Does anyone else have an EP3 that makes a quiet 'woo woo woo woo woo...' noise, regardless of temperature that increases in frequency/pitch as road speed increases? Road/engine noise drown it out, and it's most noticeable from 25-35MPH.

Mine has done it for 4 years, and 2 Honda garages and my usual mechanic have been unable to diagnose, so it's nothing obvious. It's not got any worse over the years and there are no ill effects at all, so doesn't seem to be a wheel bearing something similar.
What tyres have you had on over the years and how often and in what pattern are they changed?

Associate
[TW]Fox;22031705 said:
Just seems odd, every car I've ever driven (and looked at the economy of) has been at least 10mpg better on the Motorway than it is doing short cold trips around town.

We all know the manufacturers claims can't be taken seriously, but maybe your driving style is bringing your average down around town making your motorway MPG look better on the longer runs?

My previous car averaged around 40 MPG, on the motorway I could only get 50 out of it when being slow and steady on the run to Lancaster and later Leeds every weekend. Driving at 70 would get me 42-45 ish.

Soldato
What tyres have you had on over the years and how often and in what pattern are they changed?

It did it with the **** budget tyres on when I got the car, and it has remained the same when I've fitted new tyres since (FK452s). Tyre wear has no effect on the noise. It doesn't change with rotating tyres from front to rear, and always sounds like it comes from the front of the car.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I hardly ever got more than 200 miles to a tank in my EP3!

As for the woo woo woo noise, is that not to do with the drivers window maybe not seating properly?

Man of Honour
OP
It did it with the **** budget tyres on when I got the car, and it has remained the same when I've fitted new tyres since (FK452s). Tyre wear has no effect on the noise. It doesn't change with rotating tyres from front to rear, and always sounds like it comes from the front of the car.

Weird, it definitely sounds like a tyre related issues.

Brakes been looked at?

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
FRSU done, not had a chance to test the car out properly.

the jdm arb makes a big difference with how the car feels even going round corners at sedate speeds.

looking forward to giving it a proper going over later tonight.

im not understanding the camber settings on my sheet too much. Gibbo seems to think there is something amiss with them

will post the sheet up here and see what you guys think.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
wow.

that's very good indeed.

my last fills on the civic returned:

:(
I need to start driving economically

I tend to run the tank down to half before filling up again for various reasons, and am getting roughly 170odd miles to half a tank.

But that's with a long steady trip, stop start/town driving I'm sure would obviously be lower.

Don
I can't help but think that either the EP3 has a really small fuel tank or you lot just have heavy right feet :p An average 45 litre fill will normally last me ~320 miles.

Soldato
VTEC eats fuel but town driving really kills it.

I'm lucky to get 220miles to a tank with just short journeys with the odd VTEC during that time period.

Taking her out to the country for some fun brings the MPG right back up again, even with plenty of VTEC. I got 330miles out of the tank on friday, made up of 70mph cruising on the Duelly and plenty of VTEC around the Scottish countryside.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
I'll gladly take a look.

On a road car you shouldn't really be running any more [less] than -1.5 degrees all round.

Cheers Chris, will post it up when I get a chance to scan it in.

Me too, normally get about 240 miles before the light comes on.

I blame it on VTEC being so addictive.

this. 240 miles is about all I get too. I have netted more on occasions but honestly, where is the fun in that.

Back
Top Bottom