Typical rate for bricklayer + labourer?

Man of Honour
I'm in the wrong business - I'd have expected £200 day max on labour for a job like that - £575 for the whole lot seems closer to like a fair price than the day rate.

Associate
Just in case anyone comes across this thread again.
The price for the bricklayer was spot on. Your looking at a £ a brick for private work.
£900 for the foundation is where you have been stung. It would take a day to dig out and concrete that so roughly £200 - £250

Associate
What is with everybody not wanting to pay a fair rate? On site brickies currently get around £20 per hour or £180 per 9 hour day here in Cambridge (it can be as much as £25ph in more rural places as these are harder to get to). This does not include a labourer or the mixer, or setting out the job. Everything is pretty much machine lifted to where it is needed. This is just for laying blocks to a line any additional work will slow you down and you will lay less blocks. You are expected to lay about 150 blocks for that money and Its extremely hard work. If you don't like the price then do it yourself, then you will find out what a brickies days work is. Or, get a really low quote from someone else and have no end of problems with your 'lowest quote' builder. Feel free to ask me anything.

Last edited:
Associate
£200 a day for trades is typical in the SE & Home counties at the moment, Site management, senier QS, engineers around £300
I'm paying £1750 labour over 5 days for a 30spm patio, all dug out and prepped, laid.
Then borders around our garden dug out and prepped, sleepers installed (Ive already purchased the sleepers).
1-2m of the garden levelled off with a tonne of top soil.
Big hedgerow maintained, squared off.

Quotes for the above ranged from £2.5k (£1000-£1250 labour, the rest me sourcing material) to £5k (he was taking the pee massively). Ive gone with £3,150 overall.

Personally I don't think that's bad at all. I'm based in Herts

Soldato
OP
Would be nice to know Sunbeds outcome.

Just saw this thread again by chance. Ended up paying a little less than original quoted price but the whole experience (including garden stuff) could have been much better. Essentially I paid a premium for getting the landscape gardeners to sort everything rather than being patient and getting separate quotes for labour intensive jobs. I will have to put it down to a learning experience.

Just in case anyone comes across this thread again.
The price for the bricklayer was spot on. Your looking at a £ a brick for private work.
£900 for the foundation is where you have been stung. It would take a day to dig out and concrete that so roughly £200 - £250

Actually the £900 covered digging out and removing concrete/timber fence post plus a load of tree/ivy stumps, so it was probably more like 2-3 days. Even so it still sounds like I was over-charged here.

Back
Top Bottom