Typical temperature of 146

Associate
As some of you may know, I'm in the process of putting together a new system based around an Opty 146. I remember Thermalright making superb Heatsinks (I still have one on my 2500+). Are they still leading the pack when it comes to CPU cooling?

Also, the DFI Ultra I have just purchased, will this have some sort of CPU temperature reader which I can use within windows? Or would you suggest installing Motherboard Monitor?

What would be a typical temperature under load for an opty 146? At what temperature could I start to get worried? When I install the heatsink, I won't know what are good temps and what are bad so grateful for any advice on that.

Cheers

Dave

Associate
I can't give you any info with regard to a DFI mobo, but I have an Opty 146, overclocked to 2.9Ghz @ 1.45V on an Abit Fatal1ty AN8.

It idles at around 28c and hits 48c when priming. These Opterons seem to run significantly hotter at full load than when idle. That is compared to a Venice 3000+ I had that idled at 26c at hit 36c at full load.

I am using a Gigabyte G-Power Pro heatsink & fan and I'm really happy with it.

Custom PC have a review of it here

In terms of a maximum safe temperature, I would personally start to get a little concerned if my Opty was hitting over 55c at full load. You can check AMD64 CPUs for their maximum rated case temp using A64 TCaseMax

Just make sure you have good airflow to keep the case temperatures down and this will help the CPU no end.

Hope this helps.

Associate
OP
that's great, some useful info there. :) will look at the links when i get home

do you have any recommendation as to what cooler to use? I'd prefer something that would house a 120mm fan to keep the noise down.

thanks

Associate
Well many people swear by the 'Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro' and it looks excellent value for money, but as I say, I have a Gigabyte G-Power Pro which has a 110mm fan and comes with a fan controller. It's got a large solid copper heatsink with 8 heatpipes and does the job perfectly. I love it :)

Associate
I'm running a thermaltake Big Tyhoon with my 146 running at 2.8 and am getting temps of 28-29 idle and 32-33 load. Really impressed with it but it is massive so if thinking of buying check that it will fit motherboard first.

Associate
OP
alright. I'll give the Gigabyte one a look. :)

you wouldn't happen to have any links to a review of the latest coolers would you?

I don't think the case temperature is going to be an issue, my coolermaster has plenty of ventilation and 2 decent 80mm fans in the front. I remember buying it years ago for around £200!!!!

Back
Top Bottom