Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Soldato
Controversial is the word. I haven't run Ubuntu since Jaunty as every release made it slower and the damned thing kept on breaking. However on their site I see,

Ubuntu loads quickly on any computer, but it's super-fast on newer machines. With no unnecessary programs and trial software slowing things down, booting up and opening a browser takes seconds. Unlike other operating systems that leave you staring at the screen, waiting to get online. And Ubuntu won’t grow sluggish over time. It’s fast. And it stays fast.

I am sceptical. The quest to minimise the learning process for anyone to jump on board is in conflict with the desire for a fast, stable operating system. This version even comes with an antivirus program.

Soldato
Downloaded it earlier this week, found I could not work out how to do basic stuff, switched to kubuntu, found it was worse, switched to xubuntu, have a simple full featured desktop again that I can use.

Associate
OP
Oh dear.

Turns out a wireless kernel bug that was present in Natty beta is STILL there since Canonical couldn't be bothered to use the latest 2.6.38.3 kernel for release. Bug wasn't present in Ubuntu 10.10 with the kernel that was used. I was actually considering switching to Ubuntu from Windows 7 but updating and finding out your wireless has been destroyed pretty much takes the ****.

After having used Linux since Fedora Core 1 it's still not ready for normal use :(

Associate
Oh dear.

Turns out a wireless kernel bug that was present in Natty beta is STILL there since Canonical couldn't be bothered to use the latest 2.6.38.3 kernel for release. Bug wasn't present in Ubuntu 10.10 with the kernel that was used. I was actually considering switching to Ubuntu from Windows 7 but updating and finding out your wireless has been destroyed pretty much takes the ****.

After having used Linux since Fedora Core 1 it's still not ready for normal use :(
So, wireless on the laptop won't work? Is there going to be a patch or something? I can just use an ethernet cable?

Associate
OP
So, wireless on the laptop won't work? Is there going to be a patch or something? I can just use an ethernet cable?

Depends on your wireless adapter :p

Mine's an Atheros AR2427 in an Asus Eee PC 1001PX and the moment I add my (WPA2) wireless network Ubuntu just freezes. The only way to fix it is to disable wireless using the hardware key during boot and then delete the network from the list.

It's just a totally depressing view of the end result of Open Source really.

15/03/11: The bug was introduced, remember it worked previously, in kernel 2.6.38 (or possibly earlier, but I'm guessing then)

21/03/11: A guy actually from Atheros saw the problem...

28/03/11: ...and a fix was created

14/04/11: Kernel 2.6.38.3 was released fixing the problem

28/04/11: Ubuntu is still on kernel 2.6.38.2

XX/XX/11: Ubuntu actually releases a kernel using 2.6.38.3+

Soldato
I'm not so sure I like the direction Ubuntu is going. I tried the 11 betas but it didn't sit well with me. Most of the gui stuff didn't work well on my older laptop. I moved to OpenSUSE instead.

Maybe I'll give it another go now it is in release.

Soldato
Didn't like the new sidebar/menu for applications but could see how it would benefit touchscreen users. Switched to Linux Mint LXDE for now to see what other reactions are to the new release.

Caporegime
Stuck in the LiveCD to give it a go, couldn't load Firefox it simply wouldn't open seems to be a bug........ bit fail really and I'm reluctant to install on my laptop due to the above mentioned wi-fi bug.

Soldato
Christ, I remember Ubuntu when 6.06(?) was released, still use the LiveCD when helping to fix people's computers every now and again.

I was fed up with the wireless and my laptop just not working as it should. Too much faffing for my liking. Ended up reverting back to my Mac and then upgraded my laptop to W7.

From what I heard the newer releases are getting worse which is a bit of a shame.

Associate
Is there not an .iso that has every it needs onboard? Installing in a VM and it's forever 'Downloading Packages' with the shortest time being 45mins.:mad:

It's this kind of time wasting and faffing I can't be bothered with.

Soldato
Is there not an .iso that has every it needs onboard? Installing in a VM and it's forever 'Downloading Packages' with the shortest time being 45mins.:mad:

It's this kind of time wasting and faffing I can't be bothered with.

Are they not updates? As in, important bug fixes and the like? Unless you told it to install flash and some codecs, which i believe you get the option to...

Back
Top Bottom