Ubuntu 9.04 Released

Soldato
Quick question, being a linux newbie this would be my first big update from whatever version of ubuntu i currently have to this, and i would like to know how i go about the update process? can i simply run the update manager like i do regularly to update all my stuff, or do i have to download the whole OS again? If i have to download the whole OS again, how do i go about installing it over the top of my current ubuntu install without loosing any configuration or important data?

Associate
OP
Which version do you have at the moment? If it's 8.10 then yes, it's as simple as going to update manager and you'll see a notification that there's a new distro available. Click on that and about 2 hours later you'll have installed 9.04. (~1hour download for the packages + ~1hour for the installation, this will vary depending on your internet connection and hardware)

A full guide is here: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

If you're on an earlier version and you don't want to do a fresh install, then you will have to sequentially upgrade your distro to 8.10 and then follow the above method. (as far as i'm aware)

Associate
Downloading now at 406kb/s from Canonical. Always fairly quick for me Canonical.

Hope it's quicker than 8.10, I reverted to 8.04 on my desktop after discovering 8.10 was slower at FaH amongst other things.

Soldato
C & C of my post on Ubuntuforums (as Benny sussed me)
First impression....

Ubuntu Splash is Tiny
Boot time about the same.

2nd impression

Evolution still gets " Error while expunging folder" error.
Hate the email notification when there's no new email arrived
1240557993.jpeg

Google Earth still bombs out on initialisation
Gotta recompile VirtualBox again <-- always have to do that anyway.
Too early to test whether sound still glitches whilst scrolling in the browser

Otherwise.... Whats all the fuss about ?

[edit]
email notification is a huge pop up

Flash is borked

Last edited:
Associate
How do you install the mono stuff for ubuntu I wouldn't mind doing some .NET development.

Haven't a clue, someone will come along and help soon I'm sure.

Yep, it seems nippy, Flash is OK, I installed it through Synaptic and it's fine for me.

Also it automatically loaded the formerly 'Restricted Drivers' for my ATI card, still needed to install the CCC Control Centre though.

So far I like it, shall pop it on my Mum's PC this afternoon when I visit, she is a 67 year old Ubuntu fan.

EDIT: Actually I thought it had popped the ATI drivers in as the 'restricted drivers' icon wasn't in its usual place. Sadly, it can't see my ATI card, even 'aticonfig' can't see it. Hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone know where i can find out how to 'undo' some of the changes in 9.04? It's nothing major, but on my old version i could simply put my cursor over the desktop and use the right edge of my laptops navigation pad to switch to a different desktop window. Now i have to manualy click the different window in my bottom panel.

Associate
Does anyone know where i can find out how to 'undo' some of the changes in 9.04? It's nothing major, but on my old version i could simply put my cursor over the desktop and use the right edge of my laptops navigation pad to switch to a different desktop window. Now i have to manualy click the different window in my bottom panel.

have you installed the packages you need to do this? it sounds to me you need to udpate your packages or configure them again as 9.04 normally takes a list of packages you have installed, compares them with 9.04 and downloads them.

Soldato
The feature you mention applies to the Compiz desktop manager.
You need makes sure it's working and set up the key shortcut again.

Soldato
Upgraded from 8.04 (reinstalled from CD rather than going via 8.10 which it wanted to do)..... wow, it boots so much quicker now, it's amazing. Oh, and the install was incredibly quick too. Really very impressed with this so far.

The only thing that threw me was that the volume was at 0 when I booted, so I thought my soundcard was borked. Spent a while trying to work out what was wrong, then realised it was just that it wasn't turned up. :rolleyes: Works flawlessly for me now :)

The only thing I've not got working pretty much straight-outta-the-box is my Logitech Z5 USB speakers.... but I never got them to work in 8.04 so it's not as if they've suddenly stopped working. Apparently you can get them to work if you use Pulse Audio - but I don't really get what this is yet, so need to look into it and get my head round what it is / how it works. For the moment, I'm still using my wireless Sennheiser headphones to listen to my music.

Oh, forgot to say that I'm using Xubuntu not the vanilla Ubuntu.

Associate
OP

I can still do this with my scroll wheel in 9.04, so is the right edge of your track pad scrolling properly still for windows etc?

Soldato
I can still do this with my scroll wheel in 9.04, so is the right edge of your track pad scrolling properly still for windows etc?

I just tested a web page in opera, and scrolling with the side of my track pad works fine there. I had a quick look around some settings stuff and managed to find a keyboard shortcuts screen, and have found that ctrl alt left or atrl alt right allows me to switch desktop, which will have to do untill i know my way around linux a bit better to set up the track pad desktop switch that im used to.

Soldato
So iv installed it onto my laptop and im finally impressed with a version of ubuntu! (yeah i really wasnt a fan of 7 back in the day and the 8's were slow and bulky) but this one is pretty fast! (and iv remembered to get rid of the nasty brown.... Think ill give it a run on my desktop tomorrow (and test out some games on it).

Also can anyone recommend a dock for it??

Soldato
Have to say I'm liking this already - installed it last night and it's fantastic, feels a lot sharper and quicker than 8.xx. Had a bit of an issue with the ATI drivers after the install and completely botched the whole thing, so had to re-install it almost immediately, but now it's up and running it's ace. First release that I genuinely might replace Windows with for everything but gaming :)

Back
Top Bottom