Ubuntu Tweaks for Netbooks

Associate
So I've taken the plunge and installed Ubuntu 11.10 on my eeePC. Been playing with it most of the day (when not outside in the sun) and so far am really enjoying it (post-Unity, that is).

My query is in relation to further customisation and tweaks. So far, most if not all guides provide tweaks designed for generic systems - rigs far superior to mine.

The only netbook tweak guides I've found are for earlier distros, and seem pretty outdated. Does anyone know of a more recent guide, or have any suggestions as to further tweaks designed for the frailties or netbooks?

Thanks!

Huw

Huw

Associate
Well I'm no expert in this regard but what I'd do is go through the services loaded at boot time, and get rid of anything you don't need (bluetooth modules etc). The usual power management tweaking, of course. Use lighter applications, e.g. Abiword and Gnumeric instead of LibreOffice.

Oh, and use a lightweight login manager and desktop environment combination, like LXDM/Openbox.

I'm sure someone far more knowledgable than me will come along and give you much better advice. :)

Soldato
Probably nothing of any worth you can do bar use a lighter weight window manager.

If you have one of these crappy slow ssds then there are probably quite a few mount options tweaks you can do (noatime etc) also you would want to mount as many directories as tmpfs as possible (/tmp /logs etc). Also install preload.

Back
Top Bottom