1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu very laggy VNC

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by GodAtum, Nov 19, 2018.

1. GodAtum

Wise Guy

I have a Ubuntu 16.04 desktop with VNC installed. Compared to my Windows 10 it is very laggy. The mouse takes ages to move and the windows slowly open. On Windows there's no such lag.

2. AmateurExpert

Gangster

Presumably you mean you have a VNC server running on your Ubuntu desktop, and when viewing this desktop from a client on another host you get a lot of lag?

If so, is the VNC server machine plugged into a monitor or is it headless? If headless, then you may be running into a known X server bug. There is a workaround for this which works for me: install xserver-xorg-video-dummy-lts-xenial on the VNC server machine and add a dummy display config in your xorg.conf file (there is an example in the answer given at https://askubuntu.com/questions/1022093/teamviewer-slow-on-ubuntu-without-monitor-16-04).

3. GodAtum

Wise Guy

Ah yes, that makes it much better. But now my max resolution is now 1360x768 from 1080!

4. AmateurExpert

Gangster

If you've used the example xorg.conf with the line:
    Modes "1024x800"

Try changing the resolution there to something like "1920x1080" and restarting

5. GodAtum

Wise Guy

yeah i did but makes no difference

6. GodAtum

Wise Guy

yeah i did but it makes no difference