UDK

Man of Honour
Somewhat a how long is a piece of string question, depends a lot on the experience and ability of the person, theres quite a lot of tutorials for unreal engine based level design and modding tho which should get you up and running fairly quickly.

Soldato
Reasonable quality (a map people would give the time of day for) would take around a year from start to finish (rough guesstimate, too many variables!).

I'm assuming someone who has had previous interest in 3d packages or similar, has a basic/good understanding of how games are put together (triggers, ai paths etc).

Single player map or Multiplayer?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Reasonable quality (a map people would give the time of day for) would take around a year from start to finish (rough guesstimate, too many variables!).

I'm assuming someone who has had previous interest in 3d packages or similar, has a basic/good understanding of how games are put together (triggers, ai paths etc).

Single player map or Multiplayer?

Yeah theres waaay too many variables...

Gimme a solid and complete layout and/or good quality concept art to work from I can rough a map up in a week and have a fleshed out version done in another week... only takes longer usually coz I start with 40% of an idea and get stuck on getting the remaining 60% upto the same level :S but then I've been level editing since about 1995 :D

Associate
Probably a long time if you're not experienced with the tools. Even if you managed to chug out a map you probably wouldn't have optimised it properly or followed accepted standards for doing stuff and would have to go over it again to bring it up to scratch.

Then there's designing the map so it's balanced and flows well which is one of the hardest things to do. Would be best to start on a symmetrical map.

Associate
OP
need a little help ive built a simple floor and i click play from here then i just get a windowed black screen which sais paths need to be rebuilt ?

Soldato
Probably already tried this and not sure if it's still there (haven't used the UDK in a long time) but there used to be a "Build All" button somewhere.

Soldato
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/VideoTutorials.html

This is how I started learning UDK. Have a watch of the video tutorials and go from there. I believe there is a good series on creating a simple level from scratch by just using what is available already in UDK.

After watching those videos, you will have a better understanding of time scales etc.

In regards to the blank screen, do you have a light source in the game?

Man of Honour
Probably a long time if you're not experienced with the tools. Even if you managed to chug out a map you probably wouldn't have optimised it properly or followed accepted standards for doing stuff and would have to go over it again to bring it up to scratch.

Then there's designing the map so it's balanced and flows well which is one of the hardest things to do. Would be best to start on a symmetrical map.

Forgot about that, it took me a good year or so to polish my level editing upto a relatively decent standard and probably another year to really learn some of the subtleties i.e. so the edges of brushwork doesn't stand out, textures merge into each other without looking out of place or noticeably tiled and so on.

Back
Top Bottom