• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

UK based advanced GPU repair service recommendations?

Associate
Hi folks,

I have a Palit GeForce GTX 1060 Dual card that has no video output and either blue screens or displays a Code 10 (or 43, can't remember which, been a while) in Windows / driver init error in Linux.

I have reflowed the main GPU IC myself (using some flux and a hot air rework station.. I repair other electronics as a hobby, namely car ECU's) however this made it no better and no worse.

I suspect another IC has failed (probably power or RAM), can anyone recommend a GPU repair service in the UK that is more than just your average BGA rework service?

Ideally I'm looking for someone / a company that has a lot of experience and will do a deep diagnosis rather than just sticking it under a glorified hot air gun :)

Last edited:
@Dontrocktheboat Have already tried the oven and then a reflow myself using a hot air rework station. I don't fancy a trip to Taiwan in these difficult times :D

@Harlequin I have not, I doubt they'll touch it and I imagine they'll probably charge £ROFL ? :)

Edit: I have emailed Palit just in case but would still like a third party to look at the card.

Last edited:
Its going to cost.. Unless you can find a qualified bench engineer who only wants to make min wage. You could be charged £60 just to be told its beyond economical repair. Plus now you've messed with it you'll be lucky to find someone that will want to touch it

It sounds like you've already done about as much as your average BGA repair service will do. It's unlikely anyone has schematics of a Palit 1060 and once you move beyond the obvious business of checking blown caps, damaged traces and checking for shorts, etc. it'll get very tricky. If it was a £5k+ GPU, or a TitanV CEO edition or something, then maybe it would be worth it but I find it hard to imagine anyone with the tech to pursue this would do it for a fee that makes sense for a 1060, unfortunately. An unrecognised device also doesn't give much to work with - worse than say, instant failure in 3d mode when ramping clocks, or showing no external power even with 8pins are plugged in. With a driver init fail like that, there is a danger of the core itself having failed and being beyond (sensible) repair.

I would still try flashing different 1060 bioses onto it, though (either via a second card or if you have the tools, force-flashing). Long shot but bios corruption can do the driver init error, and switching around different bioses will also roll the dice on a few components (the working displayport/HDMI outs may vary in fuctionality on off-manufacturer bioses, try them all).

Too expensive. At least £40 per hour minimum and perhaps 3 hours work? So £120 minimum. Not worth it for a 1060.

They wouldn't offer a discount for low end hardware.

Last edited:
Problem fixing a GTX 1060 or any GPU is it's too niche, so not many repairers would have worked on them, if any.

If these were like iphones and they were fixing dozens a week the costs come down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom